OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: touchy subject on dissappointed call making  (Read 5827 times)

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: touchy subject on dissappointed call making
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 10:05:54 AM »
All the advice is good...would suggest you ask for a sound file on any call prior to purchasing...that way there is no mystery and I haven't met a callmaker who wouldn't do that.  I believe most of them would say reputation is more important than money.  You have to speak up though...just putting it on the shelf is not right for you nor the callmaker.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 07:39:56 PM »
I’m sure this isn’t the first time the call maker had a dissatisfied customer. Call makers are dealing with the public. No one can have 100% satisfaction 100% of the time.

Anyone charging $200 for a call want happy customers. It’s how they get the ability to charge $200 per call.

Give him the chance to make it right. That way you’ll both be happy.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 08:12:30 PM »

Anyone charging $200 for a call want happy customers. It’s how they get the ability to charge $200 per call.

Give him the chance to make it right. That way you’ll both be happy.

^^^^^

This.

The guys charging $200 are doing it because their work is of that quality and in that kind of demand.  They have earned a reputation and they darned well want to keep it.   I cannot think of a single builder charging $200 or more that would not be 110% approachable on your issue and 150% willing to fix it.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
Well hats off to you for not selling it or trading it to someone else. I have gotten a call or 2 here from guys that I threw in a fire pit because they were terrible. I either traded for or bought because of who the maker was. I also have dealt with a couple of makers whom I will absolutely never deal with again or own one of their calls.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »
There should be no hesitation as to your decision and there would be no confrontation involved. Very simply, you the customer are not happy, for whatever reason.  You should contact the callmaker and let them know your position.  There are only a few callmakers out there charging $200 for a box call.  I suspect/hope this callmaker would accept your concerns and refund your $ or better yet make you replacement call with a sound file first.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2021, 09:08:51 AM »
Can you put a sound file on here? I would like to hear it.
sorry im late to responding , ive been off work about 5 days. yes I will put a sound file on here when I get the chance. may be a few more days.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 09:11:00 AM »
Did to hear the call before you purchase ? if so did you like it? and yes i would contact the builder.
no I didn't hear it....this is a waiting list , one at a time situation

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 09:13:46 AM »
Most builders this day and time will tell you, if your not happy with the call just return it and they will make it right. My suggestion is give him a chance to make it right. IMO

I would follow that step and see what results you get, 9 out of 10 times the builder will tell you to send it back and he will make you another one or refund your money. Give him a chance to correct the issue before you get angry about a call you don't like and then start a post that will lead to you getting all kind of opinions of what you should do. JMO
am I angry...disappointed...theres a lot better things to be angry about in life than a turkey call.... but I didn't mention the maker. Ive never sent a call back before even though ive bought a few duds in my day. Which is why I made the post...I was curious if folks typically send them back. I wouldn't know, ive never done it. after seeing these replies that's what im going to do, or attempt to at least

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2021, 09:16:36 AM »
but I prefer to avoid confrontations....especially in relatively fragile sport like we have. What would you do.....Tell him....or just stick on the shelf. It is a box call, and cost 200 bucks.

At that price for a box you have really narrowed down the call builders that charge that much for a box. I can only think of 5 box call builders that charge that much for a hunting grade box and they would definitely work with you if you are unhappy with their call.
I guess I shouldn't have mentioned what I payed for it then.

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 09:27:17 AM »
The cost of the call really isn't the important part of your question at the beginning anyway, if it was a $100 box or a $250 dollar box most of the call makers will work with you even if it is a refund. I have had the same thing happen with a couple of calls and have always got good results by contacting the call maker and discussing the call and what I was looking for as far as a sound.

Hopefully you have contacted the call maker and you are getting it worked out. :)

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 10:12:55 AM »
this is my first day back reading this post, I haven't contacted him yet but I do plan on it. Its good to know that seems what most of you have done in these situations.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2021, 10:20:36 PM »
Put up a sound file.
Psalm 46:10

Offline strutnrut

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 10:36:51 PM »
As a callmaker i would want to know and recommend sending it back to him . This is why i send a call before i am paid for the call. i have had a call or two returned but if you don't know there is a problem with a call then you may be make the same mistake twice. I never want someone to be unhappy with a call. The callmaker should understand. 

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2021, 10:34:42 AM »
Just put it on Ebay, someone will pay 5 times what it's worth and they won't know what it is supposed to sound like anyway! :TooFunny:

I'd contact and send it back like others have suggested.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2021, 12:44:11 AM »
I look at it as a $200+ call is like an heirloom. The guy who made that call is a serious craftsman and put his name on it. Hes been doing it a long time.. He expects that call to be passed down through generations of users,  to outlive him. I mean the guy's kidda famous in our circles, that's why you rightfully didn't mention his name. If it's lousy he'll probably want to make it right for his names sake. Give him the chace to do that. Even great artists have lesser quality works. He let it slip through accidentally. There's no way he intended on building you a sub par call.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14