OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: touchy subject on dissappointed call making  (Read 5803 times)

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
touchy subject on dissappointed call making
« on: June 29, 2021, 09:48:18 PM »
so ….this isn't the first time its happened to me. Im not going to mention any names either. What do you do , when you buy an expensive custom made call from a well known builder and it sounds like hammered dog crap. I own over 100 box calls. Mostly custom made ones, and have been a part of building some custom made calls myself with a friend of mine who makes them. I know....some calls just don't cut it. Some calls may have different pitches per say that people prefer, etc....so there is a reason to intentionally build calls that sound differently however.....on a box call there is some very elementary things the calls absolutely has to be able to do. 2 note yelp, high to low, and roll over. Some calls are described as "clear"...no rasp. Some calls take pressure to make them roll over and produce both notes, some calls are specifically designed to run a certain way like a hen box with no spring...yada yada yada....I get it. But Ive seen this multiple times now, and both times from well known makers and ive even seen this making calls with my buddy. What I like to call the dreaded "goose" sound. A raised spot on the paddle from a knot or such can cause this....however this isn't the case on this particular call. Anyway...this call does not sound like a turkey. It just don't. It does not produce 2 notes in a high to low orientation. matter of fact it....if you run it full swipe it acutally produces 3 full distinct notes. So I try to only run it partial swipe with and without pressure.....doesn't matter. the call is not something I would even remotely consider taking to woods....and Im hear to tell you, the sound don't matter that much. It really don't.....we really over think how well are calling is. I consider myself an above average caller but not great by any means.....so when I say I wouldn't take it to the woods....its bad. what do you fellas do in these situations. I do not like to insult people in situations like these.....the guy made the call...he knows dang well what it sounds like. I would love to him hey man....this call does not sound good, like at all, but I prefer to avoid confrontations....especially in relatively fragile sport like we have. What would you do.....Tell him....or just stick on the shelf. It is a box call, and cost 200 bucks.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: touchy subject on dissappointed call making
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 09:57:01 PM »
Most builders this day and time will tell you, if your not happy with the call just return it and they will make it right. My suggestion is give him a chance to make it right. IMO

Online Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 10:15:40 PM »
Can you put a sound file on here? I would like to hear it.
Jim

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 10:47:01 PM »
Take it goose hunting,
you could be on the cutting edge of something new in the goose blind

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 10:50:26 PM »
i traded for one that a few rave about, i could get it to sound like a dying chicken, i got two pots that i think about putting in the trash every trash day..

Offline TonyTurk

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 10:52:49 PM »
Anybody who charges $200 for a call should darn well make it right if the call is a dud.

I might be willing to eat $40 to avoid a confrontation, but $200?  Ultimately that is for you to decide.  I would contact him, if it were me.

Offline J Lacey

• Shag Hill Custom Box Calls
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 11:30:14 PM »
Just let him know your disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 11:41:06 PM by J Lacey »
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 12:58:04 AM »
I bet he mistakenly sent you a prototype for his new Goose call he's releasing this Fall.
You probably hit the jackpot and don't realize it yet!

Offline rodney gillikin

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 05:06:24 AM »
Did to hear the call before you purchase ? if so did you like it? and yes i would contact the builder. 
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 06:46:31 AM »
Most builders this day and time will tell you, if your not happy with the call just return it and they will make it right. My suggestion is give him a chance to make it right. IMO

I would follow that step and see what results you get, 9 out of 10 times the builder will tell you to send it back and he will make you another one or refund your money. Give him a chance to correct the issue before you get angry about a call you don't like and then start a post that will lead to you getting all kind of opinions of what you should do. JMO

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 07:11:50 AM »
I’ve had issues with calls in the past and I’ve never had a callmaker not make it right. I’d reach out and be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 07:17:21 AM »

I would follow that step and see what results you get, 9 out of 10 times the builder will tell you to send it back and he will make you another one or refund your money. Give him a chance to correct the issue before you get angry about a call you don't like and then start a post that will lead to you getting all kind of opinions of what you should do. JMO
I agree with both of these posts, from my limited experience any call maker worth buying from will make it right. I have had 1 call I have purchased second hand that has a squeaky noise at the screw and I contacted the maker for advise on how I may be able to fix it and even though he knew I was not the original owner he told me to just send it to him and he would fix it free of charge. I was given a call by a member here and one rail played fine but the other sounded horrible, again this second maker also fixed it free of charge so to save him some money instead of having him ship it to me I just had him bring it to the NE Call Makers Summit with the rest of the calls he was going to be selling. I got back a call that sounded great on both sides and got to meet a good man and make a new friend in the process. He is a member here by the way but I don't like to drop names but he can if he wants to after reading this.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 07:24:15 AM »
A quality well known call maker is sure to make it right for sure………..
“Solo hunter”

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
 but I prefer to avoid confrontations....especially in relatively fragile sport like we have. What would you do.....Tell him....or just stick on the shelf. It is a box call, and cost 200 bucks.

At that price for a box you have really narrowed down the call builders that charge that much for a box. I can only think of 5 box call builders that charge that much for a hunting grade box and they would definitely work with you if you are unhappy with their call.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 09:25:42 AM »
Any well known call maker would rather fix it or return your money than get a bad report from anyone because reputation is what sells calls. Talk to him.