OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Oh no !! Cracked wingbone

Started by jlewis4390, April 29, 2021, 05:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlewis4390

Well I bought this beautiful wingbone off eBay 4-5 years ago and had never hunted it till today and it is pure Turkey .... my favorite call by far. Well I had it in truck for tomorrow's hunt and my wife came in house and says I have to tell you something I got in the truck to grab my sunglasses and I dropped your call I think it broke !!!! well it did break but still runs fine so I guess It gives me a excuse to find another one for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuart

Sorry to hear that.  At least you can still use it tomorrow and until your replacement is found.  Good luck tomorrow!

ChesterCopperpot

Might be able to put a fuzz of CA glue on the crack and seal it up.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

jlewis4390

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 29, 2021, 07:13:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up I am trying to see if I can find the chipped piece that came out of the end but I will throw some glue on it

gergg

Quote from: jlewis4390 on April 29, 2021, 07:36:24 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 29, 2021, 07:13:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up I am trying to see if I can find the chipped piece that came out of the end but I will throw some glue on it

Might not be perfect, but with a little custom work you could fit another piece in there with a little CA or epoxy and it would suffice.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

jlewis4390

Does anyone know this maker by chance ??

EZ

I don't know who the maker is, but it's a cool looking call.

As other have said, even if you can't find the chip, I'd mix up a little 5 min. epoxy and apply it with a toothpick to the inside, anywhere it looks like it might crack more. You may want to "lightly" sand the rough edges of the area where it chipped.

Hey, it adds to the character of the call!!!

jlewis4390

Quote from: EZ on April 29, 2021, 09:07:47 PM
I don't know who the maker is, but it's a cool looking call.

As other have said, even if you can't find the chip, I'd mix up a little 5 min. epoxy and apply it with a toothpick to the inside, anywhere it looks like it might crack more. You may want to "lightly" sand the rough edges of the area where it chipped.

Hey, it adds to the character of the call!!!
Ya I'm gonna look a little tomorrow when I get out of the woods... but either way I will pick up some 5 min and hit it with a little light sanding

FullChoke

Another way to fill that gap is with Superglue and Baking Soda. Put a drop of SG in the space and sprinkle BS on it while it is still wet. Do this over and over, gradually working it until the chipped area is filled. You can then sand it down flush with 220 grit (or finer) sandpaper. You might be able to match the feathered paint on the spot. Making it totally disappear may not be possible, but your restoration shows some of the history of the call.

:anim_25:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Seth41

Quote from: FullChoke on May 19, 2021, 09:47:07 AM
Another way to fill that gap is with Superglue and Baking Soda. Put a drop of SG in the space and sprinkle BS on it while it is still wet. Do this over and over, gradually working it until the chipped area is filled. You can then sand it down flush with 220 grit (or finer) sandpaper. You might be able to match the feathered paint on the spot. Making it totally disappear may not be possible, but your restoration shows some of the history of the call.

:anim_25:

FullChoke

Not too many people seem to know about this method.  We used to fix airplane propellers using superglue and baking soda.  I've flown a many of times on propellers with super glue repairs, I trust my life on them.

Seth
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting