OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Not your normal Trumpet  (Read 3764 times)

Offline 2flyfish4

Not your normal Trumpet
« on: June 16, 2021, 10:31:14 AM »
Not your normal trumpet questions.

Do you wear gloves while calling? If not do you put camo paint on your hands or not worry about it?
What face mask do you like to use that doesn't get in the way of the operation of a trumpet?
How do you carry your trumpets in your pack?
What other things have you found that helps when it come to hunting and being successful while using a trumpet in the woods?

TIA

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
Not your normal Trumpet
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 10:45:27 AM »
I have some fingerless gloves I cut the palms out of. Works pretty good. Think they are banded brand

I have half mask I just push up some

I wear trumpet around my neck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Not your normal Trumpet
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 10:54:18 AM »

What other things have you found that helps when it come to hunting and being successful while using a trumpet in the woods?

TIA

Practice, lots and lots of practice.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
A trumpet carries a long, long way. When I'm trolling I'm not wearing gloves, and when I set up, I wear the tight / form fitting camo gloves with the thumb, index and middle finger cut off. Never had any issues or trouble calling with that style glove.

I carry an EZ wing bone, a Permar or Bott trumpet, and a Sharpe Jordan. So I bought a couple yelper carry tubes off ebay to help protect them in the vest. I wear one around my neck and the other two calls are tucked away in their carry tubes.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 11:00:31 AM »
I  wear leather gloves , for a reason ,
I push up from the bottom of my net mask  ,
adjust  Too a certain length
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 11:01:21 AM »

TIA

Practice, lots and lots of practice.

:agreed: but using just one call starting out. That will shorten the learning curve.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 11:10:55 AM »
I’ve also cut the palms out of gloves but this year I just ran North Mountain Gear lightweight liner gloves and honestly they didn’t affect sound enough to bother me. They’re just super thin so they don’t muffle sound the way some gloves do. Also the way I play I get back pressure by closing the call off in my fist rather than stopping up the bell with a finger so I’ve never felt the need for fingerless gloves with regard to calling. As far as a mask, I wear a neck gaiter and just pull it down to call. If the bird’s coming, or I believe he’s coming, I’m down on the gun anyhow. With carrying, I usually have a dedicated trumpet for the day around my neck on one of Steve’s custom lanyards and then I usually have a Jordan or wingbone stashed in my chest pack slid in one of the striker holders.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 07:18:26 PM »
No gloves at times, sometimes fingerless thin gloves.

mask
https://store.mossyoak.com/products/ol-tom-performance-full-face-mask?variant=39878690111683

lanyard around my neck

I bought a bunch of these tubes to store them in while at home or in the truck. I keep 3-4 different trumpets in my console all in these tubes.

https://www.uline.com/BL_3651/Clear-Plastic-Tubes

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 09:44:27 PM »
I havent worn gloves in 5 or 6 years. I just put the trumpet up from underneath my mask. Havent had a issue killing birds. Dont call when you see the bird and dont move. Movement saves more gobblers than anything else.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 10:05:36 PM »
Early season when it is cold I wear a wool glove that has no palm or fingers, it just covers the back of the hand/fingers, works great for me. When it warms up I don't wear gloves.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 07:13:35 AM »
If it’s cold I wear gloves with the 3 index fingers cut off all the big knuckles. If it’s warm I wear face paint on the backs of my hands and camo paint on my face as well. If I wear a mask it has the mouth cut out or a loose fitting net material I go under it. Usually it’s face paint though it doesn’t ever bother my vision or hearing. Turkeys can hear you from a long ways away try not to call too loud

Offline Hoot 000

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »
no matter , camo or no camo movement can end it. :funnyturkey: :santaclaus:  :emoticon-cartoon-012:

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 12:14:49 PM »
I wear everything i can to put the odds in my favorite .. gloves always .. with fingers and without .. just depends on weather, have wore insulated coveralls a bunch during first of season...

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
no matter , camo or no camo movement can end it. :funnyturkey: :santaclaus:  :emoticon-cartoon-012:
Movement can ruin your hunt those turkeys pick up on the slightest movement
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Online Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 02:36:26 PM »
I suggest you try things for yourself. Things such as gloves and face mask get put through the paces before the season ever opens. Wear them around the house while practicing your calling. Try them while mimicking different situations. I can figure out pretty quick what’s gonna work and what’s not. You have to figure out what works for you and learn to think for yourself.