OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Very Cool Story  (Read 3329 times)

Online EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
Very Cool Story
« on: June 15, 2021, 02:04:02 PM »
I debated whether to post this or not since this is not a call I will be offering, but the story behind it is so cool and I was very happy with how the call turned out that I decided to post it up.

My good friend and fellow callmaker, Lee Bowles, makes killer Jordan Yelpers. He also makes a Cane call that he named his "Single Barrel". I won't go into his, "secret" but those babies are sweet. Well I was picking around in my box of cane and came across a longer section of cane that was too skinny for the big end of a Jordan and too big for middle section. Lee's "Single Barrel" came to my mind and I thought, I'm going to try to make one myself and if it turned out to run good, I'll gift it to my buddy Lee.

I started measuring, cutting, sleaving, boring, sanding and gluing and pretty soon I had it to the "tuning" stage. Right off the bat it played easy and sounded great, but I had left it a little longer than what I figured I needed so I had some room for tuning it. I figured I could cut up to 5/8" off the end to get a slightly quicker roll over (that I like). I decided to only take off half that at first and see. I ran it and pretty much thought I had nailed it but I was in the shop and the acoustics aren't as good as outside, so I went out and stood on my driveway and called out across the valley. Man did she sound sweet. I called soft at first, then laid into it with some hard cuts and raspy yelps and …….GOBBLE..OBBLE..OBBLE!!!!! from across the valley on the other ridge.

Well, she works just fine!!! That's the first bird I heard on that ridge all season. I decided to mess with him a bit since he was about 400 yards away. I ran a few more series of calls with nothing but silence. I waited a few minutes and really laid into it again with cutting and excited yelping and ….GOBBLE..OBBLE..OBBLE!!!!! and now he was on MY side of the valley and coming fast. I ran to my truck, grabbed my gun and a shell and ran down and sat at the edge of my woods. I no sooner got set and here he comes up my driveway and I killed him at 25 yards.

Now, I was going to surprise Lee with this call, but I knew he, of all people would LOVE this story so I called him and told him and he got the biggest kick out of it and was happy it already had a kill to it's credit. I said it's still going to be a surprise cause you won't know what it looks like until you get it. He finally got the finished call yesterday and was very happy. He did have to throw in his typical Lee Bowles response: " so you're giving me a slobbered up second hand call", lol. Only slightly used Lee.  ;D

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Very Cool Story
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »
Great story, and that's a beautiful call Tony. 

Online EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 02:07:05 PM »
Wish I knew how to post pics right, lol. Here it is in the tuning stage with a big bird.

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 02:43:57 PM »
That’s AWSOME Tony!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 02:51:05 PM »
 You just can't please some people...  :TooFunny:  Slobber and spurs cost extra

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 03:13:33 PM »
Funny story! I like his sense of humor.

Offline Drycreek

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 03:26:03 PM »
Fine looking call!!

Online Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 04:14:57 PM »
Awesome call and great story!

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 04:59:42 PM »
Way to go Tony - congrats on the killer call. That thing is super easy on the eyes.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »
Now that's a call and hunt to remember.. thanks for sharing the story ...

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »
Sweet looking yelper, very nice job.
Great story and write-up.

P.S. from the the thick vegetation, that looks like a late season gobbler,
are you the guy that started the  "6-1" day after the end of the season thread on the Pa. hunting website?

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 06:57:27 PM »
I know that got the blood pumping.....cool looking call.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Online EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »

are you the guy that started the  "6-1" day after the end of the season thread on the Pa. hunting website?

Lol, it was the second half of the season. The vegetation are the wife's flowers, lol!!!

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 10:17:08 PM »

Well I didn't think so, but seeing those 2 empty bottles I can see how somebody could get mixed up on the end of season

Lol, it was the second half of the season. The vegetation are the wife's flowers, lol!!!

Offline Wingbeat

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »
Neat story and a beautiful call!!