OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Choke recommendation  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Buckeye

Choke recommendation
« on: June 11, 2021, 07:49:21 AM »
I’m new to the forum so this is my first post. I’ve got a Charles Daly field pump 12 gauge that was given to me by my grandpa and am wanting to turkey hunt some with it. I’m gonna be shooting the longbeard xr 3” #6 1 7/8 oz loads. I have one of the old MADD chokes from a Remington I used to own that from what I’ve read is a .555 constriction. I’m looking for a good hunting pattern and wonder if this will be too tight at close range. Most of the birds I’ve killed are in the 10 - 40 yard range.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Choke recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 07:52:36 AM »
Do you mean a .655? If it’s a .555 it’d be a 20ga choke and you said your Daly was a 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buckeye

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 08:01:39 AM »
You are correct it’s a .655! That wouldn’t be a good combination there!

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Choke recommendation
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 08:54:54 AM »
You are correct it’s a .655! That wouldn’t be a good combination there!
Only one way to know for sure and that’s to pattern it, but I’d imagine it’s going to be pretty dang tight. I’ve personally never seen Longbeards open up at ranges less than 25yds with any choke. They seem to be a shell designed for 30 and out. I ran into some problems with them and don’t shoot them anymore, but they’re undoubtedly a devastating round at 40 and ranges not to be discussed on this forum. Up close, though, they shoot ragged-hole tight. I’d definitely give it a try and see what it does. Might even suggest trying some different loads through that choke and just see what the patterns look like before you get into the bigger money of buying and trying new chokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 10:51:20 AM »
650 to 660 should work in it fine.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Buckeye

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 01:06:21 PM »
I’m definitely gonna shoot it to make sure just wondered if it was a good starting point since I’ve never shot the longbeard shells. My only experience with 12 gauge ammo was with the Winchester supremes back in the day. I switched to a 20 gauge with hevi shot for the last 10 years but have heard good things about the longbeards

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 06:08:23 AM »
LB 3x6’s are all I shoot. If you don’t want to end up with a lot of chokes and shooting lots of ammo, call William at Sumtoy. He’ll hook you up.  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life