OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: M2 shell choice  (Read 2958 times)

Online AndyN

M2 shell choice
« on: June 04, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »
After a couple of light primer strikes with longbeards I'm looking to make the switch to TSS since I can't get any other lead load to pattern like the LBs. I was getting 120-130 in the 10 at 40, other lead loads I'm in the 80-90 range. Federal is out of the picture as I see people mentioning shell length occasionally causes feeding issues. What are some other good options out there that will work with the M2?

Offline Franklin7x57

Re: M2 shell choice
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 11:32:49 AM »
I just contacted Apex about a franchi 20 gauge and federal Tss. He said he has  one and his shell now work in his gun. I'm going to try his stuff next. I believe the M2 and the affinity are in the same family.

Chad

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »
I've read some m2's have trouble with federal also, but my wife shoots them through her ultralight (same action) and has never had an issue. She's used multiple lot numbers of shells. I guess you never know till you try

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 04:30:17 PM »
Apex, TSS Super shot, Boss and Foxtrot, all are great shells and i have never had a cycling problem with my M2 but i have never tried Federal's tss.

Offline Kyle_Ott

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 09:58:23 PM »
I've shot birds over the last few years with shells I rolled, the Federal 8x10s, and TSS Shot 9's. 

I'm done rolling my own shells due to opportunity cost.  The time spent rolling my own shells simply isn't worth it and I have been exceptionally pleased with TSS shot 9's.  Those shells put up some incredible patterns in my M2 20 with the IC.555 and they hit them hard.

If I had to pick one shell to shoot for the rest of my life it would be the TSS shot 9's. 

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 02:30:36 PM »
I’ve never had an issue with my M2 cycling the newer Federal roll crimped shells.

Offline Franklin7x57

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 05:02:27 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has tried to roll crimp the federal TSS down a tad more. I've pushed down on the overshot card and it feels like there is room to shorten the overall length?

Offline Justinbowhunter

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 08:40:32 AM »
Im shooting apex 3" 1 5/8oz 9's, no problems cycling.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 09:11:05 AM »
562 with federal or apex.   Now if you like to load I would talk to Tommy or Hal. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 12:24:36 PM »
I just patterned a couple shots of Apex 1 5/8 oz #9 out of my Benelli with no problems.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline RND1983

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 02:20:01 PM »
I don’t have a Benelli m2, but did get to shoot my new affinity 3 yesterday which is still an intertia driven gun. I patterned Foxtrot and Rogue with a .570 Sumtoy. The Foxtrot in my opinion patterned best, but the Rogue was no slouch. All shells cycled perfectly.

Offline ShortMagFan

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 07:55:19 PM »
I’ve tried about all of them in my 2 M2s. The dedicated turkey gun is a compact model and has had the forcing cone lengthened. All 9 shot

Federal 1000 FPS, federal 1100 FPS, apex, boss, foxtrot, tss.com, both rogue loads that I can remember off the top of my head

Chokes were rhino 575, Sumtoy 562 and factory full (extended and flush) because that’s what I had.

The boss shells shot way better than anything else thru all chokes and the more open rhino was a good bit better than the Sumtoy. Given boss is a 2oz load, you’d expect it to shoot better, but I’m talking 350+ in the 10” vs ~270-ish for the best of the others

I’m planning on a more thorough write up this winter.

Ps - been shooting the federal tss for several years and never had a failure to feed. I thought the feeding/cycling issues with the federal shells was with the franchi guns or other M2 knock offs

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 09:50:27 AM »
I’ve tried about all of them in my 2 M2s. The dedicated turkey gun is a compact model and has had the forcing cone lengthened. All 9 shot

Federal 1000 FPS, federal 1100 FPS, apex, boss, foxtrot, tss.com, both rogue loads that I can remember off the top of my head

Chokes were rhino 575, Sumtoy 562 and factory full (extended and flush) because that’s what I had.

The boss shells shot way better than anything else thru all chokes and the more open rhino was a good bit better than the Sumtoy. Given boss is a 2oz load, you’d expect it to shoot better, but I’m talking 350+ in the 10” vs ~270-ish for the best of the others

I’m planning on a more thorough write up this winter.

Ps - been shooting the federal tss for several years and never had a failure to feed. I thought the feeding/cycling issues with the federal shells was with the franchi guns or other M2 knock offs

You need to open up the 562 if you going to shoot the 2oz load. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline longbeards

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 07:02:51 PM »
I shoot a M1 12 gauge and a M2 20.
Longbeards shoot well in each gun, but TSS shoots way better.....No 9 TSS handloads in the 20 was devastating in 3 states last year on turkey!!