OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning Bps 10 gauge  (Read 10512 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Browning Bps 10 gauge 26"
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2022, 05:22:36 PM »
I ordered some mossy oak gun wraps in obsession and had some time last Wednesday after work and I wrapped the stock and the forend, I think It looks good, I am not 110% sure I am willing to spend the money to have it dipped, but I think I'll still send barrel to be cerakoted, I may put a vortex venom on it and maybe pattern it and dial it in this weekend if I get some time.

I am carrying both my 10's and 2 other 12's this year,i am going to do my best to kill a long beard with a 10 gauge this season, I was real close this weekend,we just could not get the flock closer than 91 yards, 13 toms,4 hens and a 3 jakes, just would not co operate off the roost and then they cross over and leave the area we have permission to hunt. I can't complain,It was a great weekend as we were on birds both days, all day.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2022, 05:31:25 PM »
Looks like my .705 comp n choke will be here by Tuesday,I'll be able to pattern them next weekend.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2023, 12:08:25 PM »
Here is my bps 10 ga, I settled on owning it over the Rem sp, I sold the Rem sp and made $1000 off of it, I actually like the bps more anyway so It was a win win for me. I have a .695 kicks gobblin' thunder(Thanks Bo!) and a .705 comp n' choke for it and a bunch of different lead shells, I actually carried this gun for about 6-7 days last spring,I just never had a chance to kill a tom when I was carrying it. And I'll be hunting it a lot this spring as I want a 10 gauge turkey kill, I'll be patterning it here in a few weeks with both chokes and the different shells.

I like that I don't have to worry about getting it banged up or a scratch on it, It just looks and feels like a hunting gun, I will be putting a different sling on it, this is a custom sling I had made but I want something with more padding and will be ordering another limbsaver sling before season for it. Great gun!!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2023, 12:15:38 PM »
I stuck with the williams peep sight fibers for a sight, I love them,I also kept the bps base installed and can add a red dot if I want.Im not going to do anything else to gun other than different chokes if needed, the wrap makes the gun look great and I know can drag it around the bush and not have any care about getting it dinged up or scratched on a rock etc. I had kept all my patterning targets on bristol board the last 5 years but when I decided to re do my basement, I took these to my camp and burnt them in pit fire, I did write down all my data for all my guns,shells,chokes,yardage etc.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2023, 12:42:27 PM »
Looks real good…..can’t wait to see pattern pics…….
“Solo hunter”

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2023, 02:00:49 PM »
Looks good! Should be a good setup, hope you are able to post up some pattern pics, curious
to see how that .705 shoots for you.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2023, 04:35:19 PM »
Yes, I will as I won't be as busy this spring patterning as many new guns, I have been good and only bought a new bps .410 micro 24" and a Weatherby Element 20 gauge with 22" barrel, I don't think Im planning on anything else but....and I have a few that I never patterned last year and never shot yet that Im going to shoot. I am trying to keep my budget lower, only because finding ammo in one spot now is hard, and my shipping costs have almost doubled from the same shops as last year.

I also had my bps 12 gauge nwtf 24" packed and ready to ship away to have re done as it got the duratouch sickness after 11 years but came to the conclusion that I didn't really trust their time frame,so I bought a new 24" barrel for it and put the new stock and forend they had sent me,Im having the stock cut down before I actually install it here in a few weeks, may as well,Im gonna take 5/8" off of it, so my bps will have 3 different types of "breakup" camo now, I missed that gun last few seasons as I only carried it opening day. It's my favorite gun. It flat out destroys gobblers heads with 3.5" #5's in Supremes or Longbeards.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2023, 09:50:07 PM »
I was taking a stock for my bps and another gun to my gunsmith tomorrow and I figured I may as well have him cut 5/8" off of the 10 gauge stock as well. I have been looking for other 10 gauge shells all winter but all I can find is what I already have, I am really thinking of rolling tss shells for the 10 gauge in the future, I just like the aspect of carrying the Big 10, I am getting stir crazy wanting to get out and shoot my guns but I am not interested in dealing with -14, with snow and 50 mph winds yet. I'd like to get out before start of April weather permitting.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Browning Bps 10 gauge
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2023, 10:22:24 AM »
Ive been scanning for 10 gauge ammo and the only shells I can get that I do not have yet are Federal Grand slam #5's, I already have

-Win Double xx #5's- 1.5 boxes
-Win Double xx #4's- 4.5 boxes
-Federal Grand Slam #4's- 1 box + 2 shells
-Rem Premiere #4's- 8 shells

I may order another box of the Win Double xx #5's and 2 boxes of the Federal Grand slam #5's, I can get them at the same shop. 

I really hope I can get one of these shells, to pattern well with either my .705 comp n choke or the .695 kicks gt  when I get out to pattern.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2023, 01:58:43 PM »
I've been debating adding a red dot and a cheek riser pad on the stock, I am stuck inside, It took 3 years but I finally caught the Covid, and wow, I'll tell you It sure did hit me like an 18 wheeler Friday afternoon, the last few days were hell to say the least.  I have thought about loading my own shells in the past but I haven't started, I want to be able to take my time and purchase everything and be set up for this time next winter and ready for next spring with my own 10 gauge tss shells, and eventually for every gauge.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2023, 10:03:16 AM »
I picked up my guns last Friday, and the lop is perfect on the 10 gauge now, I had him cut 5/8" off the bps 10 and my bps 12 nwtf, they feel outstanding, the guy is outstanding at his trade. I also purchased the Browning xfull 10 gauge turkey choke and I had it arrive yesterday,so I have 3 to test in a few weeks.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2023, 01:29:33 PM »
I just got in from turkey ammo shopping and picked up 2 boxes of the grand slam 5's, I've toyed with the idea of using a red dot on the gun, I did add a cheek riser comb this week to the gun and I put the red dot on to test, Im not sure I will use one yet, I like the williams ghost ring sights but I'll figure that out when I get out and test/pattern the gun.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2023, 08:00:31 PM »
Had mine drilled//tapped and installed a Burris FF3 on a Sumtoy base and really like the set op. Shooting my handloads that I mentioned to you the other day we are pushing 600 in the 10" at 40 and occasionally breaking the 600 mark.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2023, 08:02:51 PM »
HBK, glad you are doing well!!! You definitely should get the stuff to "roll your own". I know that as particular you are about how your guns shoot, ain't no doubt that you can be successful at it. Keep us posted on your progress 10 gauge FOREVER!!!

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2023, 06:12:53 AM »
What a chitty spring so far for weather, the last few years I've usually been out and patterned most guns,a few times by now but we just got so much snow the last 3 months and have had crappy weather the last month, another nasty snow/rain,freezing rain hitting us this weekend that It looks like It will be a one day, bring the 5-6 guns I need to pattern and setup and get ready the last weekend before season, I have to take my wheelie into my camp still, I have a km long driveway into my property and camp and with the amount of snow still left on ground, no chance of getting the toyota in there. It looks like lots of rain next 10-12 days so that is perfect.

I would love to be setup for next spring to roll my own shells, Im going to concentrate after season is over locating everything I will need, and then buying as much stock as I can, for every gauge so I won't have to worry for awhile.

I don't plan on shooting my turkey guns a lot, I like shooting a bit before season and then a few shots during season so I am not worried about cost, I just know that finding 20 gauge shells is like pulling teeth now up here,lucky I hoard as much ammo as I can and have enough to last me till death if needed but I sure would love to put the big 10 gauge up to its full potential with some tss.

The only other projects I have under way for guns at the moment is getting a 20 gauge drilled and tapped, and I have a Henry 12 gauge single shot turkey gun on the way,It may be 6 months but Its coming,I'm excited for that gun to arrive.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 08:38:29 PM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »