OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning Bps 10 gauge  (Read 10504 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Browning Bps 10 gauge 26"
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 07:23:57 PM »
It seems the new version weighs 8 lbs 0 oz in 26" and the older one was 10 lbs 6 oz . That makes me even want this gun more,I don't mind carrying a heavy gun anyway,even when I am hiking all day,but that doesn't mean I wont take the 2 lbs 6 oz and enjoy carrying it even more.
I was emailed and told it is a mistake on their website,gun weighs 10 lbs 8 oz. So same as before,I have no issues with the weight.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
Weight is reasonable for a fixed breach gun with a fair amount of recoil. After adding the 24" barrel the balance is so much better to me, that it feels lighter than it is. After hunting it a few days, i don't really think it feels heavy, unless i'm switching back and forth with my 12 gauges.

Offline 457121

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 07:12:32 PM »

[/quote]I was emailed and told it is a mistake on their website,gun weighs 10 lbs 8 oz. So same as before,I have no issues with the weight.
[/quote]
When I read your post the other day I was thinking "did they go to an alloy receiver to lose that much weight?".

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 01:52:48 AM »
Ward i have a bps that has the turkeys and geese engraved on it with a 24" barrel. Bought that gun in the 90s  was and still is one of my favorite guns to hunt with. Couldn't  even imagine that gun dipped as pretty as it is with the high gloss bluing on it. Killed many birds with it over the years and made way more memories than I could have ever thought imaginable. Muzzle blast with a 2.5oz handload is pretty impressive. If I was to choose a 10ga as a project gun a bps is what I would go with!

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 10:46:35 AM »
Ward i have a bps that has the turkeys and geese engraved on it with a 24" barrel. Bought that gun in the 90s  was and still is one of my favorite guns to hunt with. Couldn't  even imagine that gun dipped as pretty as it is with the high gloss bluing on it. Killed many birds with it over the years and made way more memories than I could have ever thought imaginable. Muzzle blast with a 2.5oz handload is pretty impressive. If I was to choose a 10ga as a project gun a bps is what I would go with!
They really are beautiful guns with the wood and blue, and the engraving. I wish i had kept my first one! But i have made a lot of great memories with the one i have now. It is a keeper for sure, although not very pretty compared to my original!

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2021, 09:54:25 AM »
I bought my BPS Stalker 24" 10 ga. new in 2001. Still have it and would not part with it.  Even with several other dedicated turkey rigs to choose from I hunted with it exclusively this spring.  It's awesome with the old, now discontinued Winchester Supreme HV 2 oz. #6 turkey load.

Bought mine in 1991, I believe.  Whatever was the second year they were out.  It was a 30" barrel because that's all that was available and I just HAD to have one.  Only ever named 2 guns.  She is Geraldine.  Long story........  Fought that sewer pipe for a couple years then had my smith take it off at 23 1/2" (there's a rib post there) and re-thread it.  Got a XXX-Full Comp-n-Choke tube from Chuck and with the old Supreme HV 2 oz. #6's it was a freakin' MONSTER.  Pretty close to that with the #5's.  But not quite.

All that being said............ The thing is still heavy and kicks like Festus' mule, Ruth.  I think a lot of it is stock fit and me.  But she's split my cheek open on two different occasions.  I semi-retired Geraldine many years ago when I realized a 3 1/2" Super X2 (and then Super X3) would do virtually the same thing with a lot less beating on me.  And now I use a 20 gauge single.............

But, Geraldine will never go anywhere.  Haven't hunted geese for a long time.  But she's awesome with steel.  And what she'll do with 2 1/4 oz. of copper-plated lead #2's.............  It should be ILLEGAL.  Coyotes beware !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2021, 07:48:36 PM »
You are right it's a monster with those old Win. Supreme HV #6.   I really enjoyed hunting with it this spring as I have not had her in the woods for several years.  I recently went FAR the other direction and bought a Mossberg Model 500 Turkey in .410 bore!   It's full Mossy Oak Obsession camo, middle and FO red front bead, sling studs and 26" fixed full choke.  I measured the bore at the muzzle at .389 which I believe is leaning towards extra full.   I have no TSS to try and the way things are I probably won't for some time.   Really looking forward to testing it.  Still LOVE the BIG 10 though and always will!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 04:39:58 PM by WildTigerTrout »
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2021, 10:52:49 AM »
I am back looking at a new 10 gauge. I may look for a good used one, or buy the 26" black synthetic new bps. I would go with the .705 longbeard xr choke and then try a few different lead ammo from winchester and Remington. I want to add a 10 to my collection,I have had 2 and sold both.I would use it goose hunting more often and probably only a day or two every spring,maybe a day in fall season.

Offline potter

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2022, 03:53:37 PM »
I have nwtf bps I could part with

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2022, 05:05:46 PM »
I've actually been looking for a year for another nwtf 10 gauge and have not found one up here in Ontario. I am still planing on a 10 gauge, I just haven't pulled the trigger on something yet, I will, eventually.

Offline jerf

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 08:27:23 PM »
I have nwtf bps I could part with
      send me a pm with info please. Thanks

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2022, 06:11:05 AM »
I found a Browning Bps 10 gauge,Black matte,with the 24" barrel and the wild turkey engravings on receiver, the gun has some wear,including on stock but I think I may have it dipped anyway, I offered to purchase it and I offered the price he is asking. I will know when I get home from work later today I guess, if I get it..  I have looked for 2 years for another bps with the 24" barrel with no luck, I should have never sold my nwtf model, I regret that decision.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2022, 08:56:47 AM »
Cool! Post up some pics if you get it. Really miss the engraved receiver, they look so nice!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2022, 04:33:38 PM »
I just purchased it. Here are the pics, Ill have it in a week,Its coming across country.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2022, 05:45:06 PM »
I dont have much choice in ammo, as 10 gauge hevi or 10 gauge tss, or reloading just isnt going to happen in Ontario, I think I can locate some Winchester #4's and some Remington #4's maybe I can locate some Federal in 4" or 5"s but pickings are very slim, I also plan on going with the longbeard xr turkey choke in the .705 , I had a .680 and I wasnt overly impressed with 4's and 5's at 40 from my old gun. If I could get tss, reload or hevi, I would but It just won't happen, at least right now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 09:52:25 AM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »