OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning Bps 10 gauge  (Read 10797 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Re: Browning Bps 10 gauge 26"
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2022, 06:58:44 PM »
It comes with a full,modified and improved cylinder, so I am going to test the full choke with the ammo I get before I buy a choke,I think I had my old gun choked down to much so It cant hurt to test a few shells with the full before getting the long beard xr, the shop is close anyway and I can pick it up after work if the full choke sucks.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2022, 08:16:41 AM »
I can purchase Remington Premier #4's local, he has a dozen boxes, I have bought 10 gauge from him for years, he just told me I was the last person to buy any, that was 2019, and before that 2010 when I bought from him. He said I am his number #1 buyer of 10 gauge shells, so, that's how poular they are up here. I have bought 4 boxes in total from him in 12 years.

So, my goal is to try and figure out which choke will pattern the #4's the best for me, for this spring. I am leaning towards a less restrictive choke and will start with the supplied factory full, and hopefully I don't have to purchase others.

I have a few days, as I was sent home this morning as we have a covid outbreak, Ive worked through it for 2 years and it has had little impact until last night around 7pm.

I am off until Monday, unless I test positive for it but I have no symptoms and was not in close contact, but was in close contact to 2 people who were in "close" contact.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2022, 08:46:19 AM »
I have the exact gun you bought until modification, I also have a Browning Gold Light 10 with 24" barrel. Both guns did excellent with Indian Creek .690 and Apex loaded 10's. Both really shine with Handloads. Best patterns I have ever seen with handloads.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2022, 09:45:17 AM »
I can legally shoot 4,5,6's or #7's. I went through all this before, I would and wish I could shoot other shells but I am legally binded to 4-7's.

I have put some emails out to see if I can locate any components to load my own tss shells, but for now, It looks like I am stuck with #4's copper plated lead.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2022, 11:23:45 AM »
Re-read my post above and I ment to say TSS 9's from Apex. Still doesn't matter with your restrictions. Last time I looked Rogers Sporting Goods had Mag Blend for 10ga but unsure about shipping to Canada. Anyways the 4's should kill to 40 plus if pattern density holds up with choke combination as I know you are aware. Let us know how it patterns when you get a chance to fire it.

Ridge Rooster

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2022, 11:53:32 AM »
Ya, no chance no stores will ship ammo across borders,ours won't ship to you guys and vice versa. I f I could locate hevi shot, Id buy it to test but seeing as I have personally never seen it, and the one shop expected me to order $500 dollars worth of it before I ever tested a single shell, that was not gonna happen.

We reloaded shotgun shells when I was younger, my father reloaded for 30 years, for waterfowl but stopped 15-18 years ago. I have some feelers out to try and locate some components, and I'll send out some more to see if I can locate hevi shot, but from a few close friends who work directly with the distributors, pickings are slim to none, for basically anything right now. I knew it would hit us 1-2 years after you guys went through it, all of our supply that was already imported into the country is starting to dwindle and there is no supply to import more at the current time.

I am stocked up on 20 gauge,12 gauge, I could get away for the next 40 years and not need any but I can't even find the 10 gauge I purchased a few years ago, other than the Rem #4's.

Thanks for the info.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2022, 10:09:58 PM »
I went and picked up some shells to test out, He has lots more if I need them, I didn't purchase the longbeard xr .705, I think I will shoot through the full choke first. The gun shipped today,Id like to have it for next weekend,hopefully It shows up quickly.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2022, 04:35:15 PM »
I think I have decided to send the barrel and receiver away to be cerakoted and the stock and forend away to be dipped,after turkey season. I have been looking into having a gun cerakoted/camo dipped and this can be the one.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2022, 08:20:04 PM »
Had mine chopped to 21.5" and re-threaded for Tru-Choke threads, sent action to Rob Roberts for drill/tap for Sumtoy FF3 base and trigger work. Sent whole gun to Ethridge Hydrographics for a camo dip in Mossy Oak Bottom Land old school. It is a hammer with TSS Handloads.

Ridge Rooster

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »
Yes,Ill have it drilled and tapped,I have 4 browning bps bases here so I'll get it drilled for it,I'm going to go with a vortex venom with a warbird protector, I havent decided on camo finish. It looks like I can send it start of July and have it back quick from cerakoter, I also havent decided on what color/finish on it, I am trying to figure out if I can get it cerakoted and the engravings will still show. He told me...

" As long as the engravings are deep enough to be felt, they’ll still be crisp with cerakote. If it’s just more of a laser etch that’s not actually engraved or stamped, then it won’t show through.

I want them to show through, but I have no idea as I have never seen a receiver with engravings cerakoted before.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2022, 02:42:01 PM »
I have wondered the same thing concerning ceracoating an engraved receiver. Hopefully it will work on
your gun. Remington boxes have a new look i see. Looking forward to some pattern pics if you can post them. Curious how the new ones pattern compared to the older ones Remington loaded before they changed owners.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2022, 02:51:04 PM »
I won't get the receiver cerakoted until I know for sure,as I want to keep the engravings,but I wont have gun in my hands for a week or longer,says aprill 22nd is delivery date.Its coming from vancouver island which is across the country. I would still get barrel cerakoted in a matte black and either Kryptek Obskura Transitional Reduced, Natural Gear SC2 Green or Tiger Stripe Vietnam on the stock and forend. Those are the three patterns I have it narrowed down for dipping.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2022, 10:20:26 PM »
I believe I have found some resources to be able to "load" my own turkey shells, It would not be until the fall, or more than likely for next spring. I am only legally allowed #7's as smallest shot right now, so I think I will start with #7 tss and eventually switch when smaller shot become legal. The hardest part may be collecting all the components right away but I have time and I will just continue to look around for them and I'll just stock up.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2022, 07:33:54 AM »
Got a friend loading 7.5's and getting unbelievable patterns way out past where we should be shooting at turkeys. When you get access to loading components and need any load advice PM me and I can help.

Ridge Rooster

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2022, 05:45:52 PM »
I have gotten 4 emails, sorry,no 5's or 6's and our supplier has none in stock. I will be shooting 4's this year, I did order myself a williams universal ghost ring set for the gun to attach.I'll keep it on there even when I have it drilled and tapped.