OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mid Bead  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Pluffmud

Mid Bead
« on: June 02, 2021, 04:56:34 PM »
Just curious how many of y'all use a mid bead? I have one on my SBE2...  came that way. I've never thought twice about it. I've been crunching waterfowl at 5 yards on the wing and killing gobblers out to 35 yards with it, no issue. However, I looked at getting one installed on my Gordion... And after some research, apparently I've been using the mid bead wrong, but I've been shooting straight??? I've always put the base of my mid bead lining up with the base of my front bead. Apparently you are supposed to put the mid bead underneath the front bead, to make a figure 8. Granted my SBE2 rib is more raised than the Gordion rib, though I'm ignorant of the names of the kinds of ribs, I know they affect POI. Im also so comfortable with my Benelli, that the bead really just vanishes and I'm mostly shooting off of instinct. Id be a terrible shotgun shooting teacher because it had always been natural for me. Just curious to hear of others experiences with a mid bead before I make the decision.
Psalm 46:10

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
Re: Mid Bead
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 07:04:24 PM »
Particularly for wing shooting, the not having to think about aiming is exactly where you want to be. It takes time to know your gun before you're there, but a comfortable sight picture helps. If you're most comfortable with the double beads, definitely go for it on the Gordion. Like you, it is much more natural with the two beads just lined up and I have never had an issue either. I prefer beads over rifle/fiber optic sights on a shotgun for wing shooting by far.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:29:04 PM by HookedonHooks »

Offline WW

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 07:24:13 PM »
I love a mid bead also. It makes me get my head down on the gun. Which guns come standard nowadays with two beads?

Offline Chuck1443

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 01:28:05 AM »
I love a mid bead also. It makes me get my head down on the gun. Which guns come standard nowadays with two beads?
“ I love a mid bead also. It makes me get my head down on the gun“
X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[ulr=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url][=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157301774@N04/][/url]

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:11:02 AM »
You don't need it on a shotgun.  The front sight is all you need, your eye is your rear sight. No need for a mid bead just gets in the way. I would take it off if it was mine.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 07:48:58 AM »
I think a mid bead is very important for a turkey gun without an optical sight. It really helps you keep your head down on the stock to keep you from shooting over a stationary target (turkey). For wingshooting, it serves no purpose whatsoever. You have to, and I mean have to, be looking at the target and nothing else to be able to hit a flying target. I could care less if my wingshooters even have a front bead. I'm looking at the bird, not the gun, and that is the only way to hit a flying target. Trying to stack beads on a flushing grouse is a sure way to not cut a feather.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 08:45:02 AM »
I think a mid bead is very important for a turkey gun without an optical sight. It really helps you keep your head down on the stock to keep you from shooting over a stationary target (turkey). For wingshooting, it serves no purpose whatsoever. You have to, and I mean have to, be looking at the target and nothing else to be able to hit a flying target. I could care less if my wingshooters even have a front bead. I'm looking at the bird, not the gun, and that is the only way to hit a flying target. Trying to stack beads on a flushing grouse is a sure way to not cut a feather.
I definitely agree with this, and what I was meaning by not thinking about aiming, you just said it better. You're not lining things up really, as it's more about follow through and appropriate lead to be consistent, I just find that a gun with two beads makes you get down on your gun and is the most simplistic sight picture. I have some buddies that shoot Red/Green fiber optic rifle sights on their duck/goose guns and I swear I shoot about half their limits on a good day for them after filling mine.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 08:55:51 PM »
I use a mid bead as a rear sight on my turkey gun, as mentioned I put the fr. bead on top of mid bead in a figure 8 sight picture. This also raised the POI which was needed in this gun.

for wing shooting I look at the target and don't notice the beads

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 08:30:34 PM »
I'm thinking of patterning my Benelli with the mid bead again, this time holding the sight picture as a figure 8 and once again as I have been holding it. I'm wondering if there is really going to be that much of a difference... I've had no issues so far. I may be opening a can of worms...
Psalm 46:10

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 11:13:10 PM »
  X3, 4, 5

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 08:48:30 AM »
The figure 8 bead sight picture is usually used by clay shooter for rising targets. I think it will shoot too high to be useful for turkey hunting, especially if the gun has a ramped rib like on most Benelli models.Only way to know for sure is to try it at the patterning board.