OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: POA/POI  (Read 1751 times)

Offline WW

• The Boss Gobbler
POA/POI
« on: June 02, 2021, 11:48:20 AM »
I've had 2 guns recently that shot to the left of the point of aim. Is there a gun that has a good point of aim and point of impact, that you've found? I only use a beaded gun so no optics for me.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: POA/POI
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 11:55:48 AM »
Mossberg 835

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 01:46:25 PM »
Sad thing it is a lot of the cheaper guns that shoot POA/POI    Now alot of the guns now days shoot high.    You can also fix POA/POI  on most the guns.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline WW

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 02:40:10 PM »
Sad thing it is a lot of the cheaper guns that shoot POA/POI    Now alot of the guns now days shoot high.    You can also fix POA/POI  on most the guns.

What's your recomendation for a new gun with poa/poi that is true? I want a straight shooter.

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 07:30:37 PM »
It’s more than just the gun. I’ve found some guns that are on with one load are way off with another. There’s also variation from shot to shot even when using the same load. That’s especially true with tight chokes that produce a hot core. Several hundred less than aerodynamic pellets coming out of a smooth bore are inherently erratic. Others can argue this, but need to shoot more.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 08:34:28 PM »
My recently purchased Mossberg International SA-28 shot POA/POI with everything I shot thru it while pattern testing. 3/4 oz, 7/8 oz and 1 oz lead all shot to the same POI as the 1-1/2 oz TSS at 20-40 yards.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 08:55:27 PM »
I may not understand what the “same POI” means. Identical center of pattern, same number, distribution, and spacing/uniformity of hits? 

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 09:22:11 PM »
I may not understand what the “same POI” means. Identical center of pattern, same number, distribution, and spacing/uniformity of hits?

Point of Impact. The perfect gun is one that POA is the same as POI, simply put where you aim your bead is where you pattern center is. That’s my understanding. My Original Super Black Eagle has the closest POA/POI that I have.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 07:18:42 AM »
Mossbergs are known to be straight shooters.  They may shoot a tad high but not excessively high.  Usually dead on left to right. 

Offline Kyle_Ott

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 10:02:58 PM »
I've had 2 guns recently that shot to the left of the point of aim. Is there a gun that has a good point of aim and point of impact, that you've found? I only use a beaded gun so no optics for me.

Then slowly and steadily bend your magazine tube to the left.  The issue isn't the barrel; it's most likely a misaligned magazine tube being exacerbated when you screw the magazine cap down tightly onto the barrel.