OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Devotion Tuesday May 31, 2011

Started by Duke0002, May 31, 2011, 09:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

"So that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit" (Romans 15:16).

"How much should I give for an offering?"  It's not uncommon for new Christians to ask that question.  Really, their forthright honesty is refreshing!   New Christians get right at a problem that so many in the church have.   Fact is, you may have asked yourself that same question Saturday when you prepared your offering envelope for worship on Sunday.

Jesus talked about our giving.  He commended the widow for giving her last penny.  He encouraged generous giving by reminding people that they can't outgive God.  St. Paul spent 2 chapters in his second letter to the Corinthians discussing offerings.  "How much..." is an important question to ask and answer. 

In this particular verse, written to the congregation in Rome, Paul spoke pointedly.  Offerings are more than envelopes in an offering plate, or time donated, or talents contributed to kingdom work.  By faith, Christians are to give themselves to Jesus' kingdom.  To the Gentiles he says that they themselves are "an acceptable offering to God" by the work of God the Holy Ghost.   Jesus purchased them, and He purchased us, with His precious suffering and death.  No longer do we belong to ourselves, but to God -body and soul.

No matter how much of our time, talents, and treasures we offer to Him, it's never enough.... until we realize that these things reflect our trust, our faith, our love, and our hope -cleansed by the blood of Jesus and sanctified by the Holy Ghost. 

The "how much" question is a good starting point in examining who we are and what we have been given.  In Christ, we learn that every part of us (thoughts, desires, words, and deeds) are His possession.  The Lord is willing to use every part of us for His holy purposes.  Are we willing to give every part to Him? Can we trust our holy Savior with every part of us?   

It's a matter of faith, isn't it?   May God grant us such a faith today!

-Dale

mmims

Good message on a subject no one wants to touch! Thank You Dale

Mike

Roostem33

Dale, I think this is well written!! Like Mike said it can be a very sore subject. Thanks!!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

BOFF

Thank you Dale!!

I re-read this one, as it "Got me to thinking" earlier.

Coming back to it again.

God Bless,
David B.