Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for some advise from some more experienced call makers.

Started by Swamp, May 26, 2021, 08:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to making pot calls and I have a few questions. I'm getting really good sounds with just about every surface but aluminum it's just always too hollow sounding and I haven't been able to figure it out. I'm using the same dimensions as I do for my other calls that have the sound I want however I I write all my dimensions down and made 1 small change to the one I have glued up right now. But If any one is willing to help out please send me a pm I'd like to talk to someone that may be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

outdoors

I had a discussion with a call maker about a call and he told me he uses different measurements
On the service he uses  ....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Swamp

Yeah, I've also heard that mine are slightly different from glass to slate and ceramic but it's not by much I purposely made a rather large change is this one just to see what it would do.

mastevt

Sounds like you need to reduce the volume of your air chamber.  Think of your as a musical instrument.  A tuba has a lower sound, and a large air chamber.  A trumpet is higher pitched, and has a smaller air chamber. 

Swamp

BigSlam51

These are things you need to experiment with on your own, or you won't learn a whole lot. Make small changes at a time, and right them down.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Swamp

Thats what I've been doing I think ive started to figure out what direction I need to go. I was basically want to pick someone's brain that was more experienced than I am to see if my theroy made any sense.

mastevt

Quote from: Swamp on May 26, 2021, 07:10:23 PM
Like smaller sound holes or changing up the depth?

Increasing the size of your sound holes increases the volume, like turning up your radio in your truck.  Changing the volume of your air chamber changes pitch.  Smaller chamber = higher pitch.  Larger chamber = lower pitch.  Air volume is the space inside your coffee cup vs the space inside a 5 gallon pail.  Follow me?

Swamp

Quote from: mastevt on May 27, 2021, 10:12:29 AM
Quote from: Swamp on May 26, 2021, 07:10:23 PM
Like smaller sound holes or changing up the depth?

Increasing the size of your sound holes increases the volume, like turning up your radio in your truck.  Changing the volume of your air chamber changes pitch.  Smaller chamber = higher pitch.  Larger chamber = lower pitch.  Air volume is the space inside your coffee cup vs the space inside a 5 gallon pail.  Follow me?
Got it! I'm going to send you a pm.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk