OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Green slate  (Read 7402 times)

Offline TKE921

Re: Green slate
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 08:19:55 AM »
I have a green slate / grey slate in bocote i got from Bill Lyman a few years ago.  I sub it in for a glass pot in the lineup quite often. 

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »
Are there different types of green slate? I’ve noticed in pictures of calls, some green slate looks dark almost like grey slate, whereas others look much lighter, almost like a mint color. I’ve owned a few green slates, and the ones I’ve received have been the latter. If there are variations, is there any difference in terms of how they run and sound?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »
Are there different types of green slate? I’ve noticed in pictures of calls, some green slate looks dark almost like grey slate, whereas others look much lighter, almost like a mint color. I’ve owned a few green slates, and the ones I’ve received have been the latter. If there are variations, is there any difference in terms of how they run and sound?
I believe it has to do with mine it comes from, depth it comes from and if I am using the right term here which I do not think I am vein it comes from. Each can make a difference. At least that is how I understand it. I think there are only a couple of mines for green slate, that may be red slate though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 10:32:50 PM »
I believe it has to do with mine it comes from, depth it comes from and if I am using the right term here which I do not think I am vein it comes from. Each can make a difference. At least that is how I understand it. I think there are only a couple of mines for green slate, that may be red slate though.
Interesting, from those that have owned different variations, I’d be curious to hear how they sound and run compared to each other. I tried to search through past posts to dig up a couple examples of what I’m describing in the light versus the dark:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RND1983

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 08:19:02 PM »
I think the only surface I don’t have from Buster is his green slate. Guess I need to get one…

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2021, 08:29:25 PM »
I have a Strawser Green Slate. Yes, it is unique, a great sound……
“Solo hunter”

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
Yes, just like grey slate it's not all the same. Comes from different depths of the quarry, and has different density. That really light colored green is too soft IMO you can see the the surface scratching up just by playing it. Over time you'll wear the sweet spot thin and change the sound of the call.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 09:29:28 AM »
My first pot call was green slate in walnut pot from Mark Cornelius in 2018. Have James Witmer green slate also both are fine sounding calls.

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 10:25:52 AM »
I've got a Nathan Taylor green slate in cherry - and I think it's the most "turkey" sounding call I own, compared to the birds I hear in my hunting spots. It hasn't seen nearly enough vest time but I expect great results from it this coming spring.

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 11:25:19 AM »
I have a Brad Roberts in Pataschio and a Dustin Jones in cedar and each has its own unique sound and agree green slate plays a higher-pitched sound, both will get vest time...

Offline Footballer

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 01:17:22 PM »
Interesting, from those that have owned different variations, I’d be curious to hear how they sound and run compared to each other. I tried to search through past posts to dig up a couple examples of what I’m describing in the light versus the dark:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The top picture (darker) is the green slate I prefer. The bottom green slate (lighter) seems to be the newer supply of green slate and I'm not a fan of it. The darker green slate grips better and has a better sound in my opinion.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2021, 07:18:10 PM »
I have a Brad Roberts Green slate in a cedar pot along with Buster red slate. Love them both. But I sometimes have trouble running them in the high humidity of south Florida.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2022, 04:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I messaged Mr. Buster Halford via facebook about a call. I know with Unicoi coming up, this wasnt the best time but I will wait for a reply.

Offline Bringintheh2o

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2022, 05:45:44 PM »
It will definitely be worth the wait. Larry makes a phenomenal pot call. I have a purple two-sider, a red and a green slate. The red and green are in a persimmon pot. Larry is really fond of his red slate in a persimmon pot.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 04:23:54 AM »
You def didn’t go wrong with that choice. Out of the slate calls I have and lots green I like busters the best. I hate to say this to you as you mentioned not liking red but his red is one you ought to try as well. Great calls