turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Forgiving pattern for 21” 870

Started by Wayman, January 04, 2023, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayman

I know this question probably has been asked a million times but was wanting a little input before I purchase a choke.   I want to set up a 21" 20 gauge 870 for my son and I don't want it to be so tight that he can easily miss.   This is going to be his first season turkey hunting at 9 yrs old. Most likely be wanting to shoot #9 or #7 federal heavyweights
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guskie

Factory full or modified is what I'd use. I use a factory flush full choke in my 20 ga m2. TSS doesn't need a lot of  constriction for killing at proper distances

BandedSpur

Quote from: Guskie on January 04, 2023, 11:04:30 PM
Factory full or modified is what I'd use. I use a factory flush full choke in my 20 ga m2. TSS doesn't need a lot of  constriction for killing at proper distances

This^^^^

76chevy

also check out the primos tightwad .570 rem choke tube

Wayman

Yeah I was kinda thinking the Remington sf or tight wad.  Would those ones throw a decent enough pattern at 40 yards to do the trick ?

Matt76cmich

Quote from: Wayman on January 04, 2023, 08:39:05 PM
I know this question probably has been asked a million times but was wanting a little input before I purchase a choke.   I want to set up a 21" 20 gauge 870 for my son and I don't want it to be so tight that he can easily miss.   This is going to be his first season turkey hunting at 9 yrs old. Most likely be wanting to shoot #9 or #7 federal heavyweights
Thanks in advance

Here's some patterns out of my 21" 20 gauge 870 (O/T= Ol'Tom Blend). Info of chokes in the top right corner of the target. If you enlarge the picture you can see the hits on the white paper too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wayman

Thanks for the replies! Those are some great looking patterns for a 20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

randywallace

In addition to the more open chokes, if you want an even more forgiving pattern check out some of the smaller companies producing 20 gauge TSS that are placing more pellets in each shell.  Both Boss and Rogue load 9s with significantly higher pellet counts compared to Federal.  Boss 9s are 2oz.  Federal 9s are 1.5oz.  Thats 180+ more #9 TSS pellets going downrange with the Boss loads.

Ridge Rooster

I have had great results with a Carlson .575. I have 2 turkey guns currently that I have after market ironsights on that I use the .575. this choke usually gives me a 50/50npattern at 40 yards. 250 in 10" and 250 in 20" give or take a few pellets either way. That is with my 20ga handloads of TSS #9's

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Wayman

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on January 11, 2023, 12:45:44 PM
I have had great results with a Carlson .575. I have 2 turkey guns currently that I have after market ironsights on that I use the .575. this choke usually gives me a 50/50npattern at 40 yards. 250 in 10" and 250 in 20" give or take a few pellets either way. That is with my 20ga handloads of TSS #9's

Ridge Rooster
That's great to hear I just purchased the Carlson .575 because that's all I could find locally. Going to try the federal 7-9 heavyweights when I get some time.

LRD

Quote from: Wayman on January 11, 2023, 08:33:21 PM
Quote from: Ridge Rooster on January 11, 2023, 12:45:44 PM

Ridge Rooster
That's great to hear I just purchased the Carlson .575 because that's all I could find locally. Going to try the federal 7-9 heavyweights when I get some time.

Carlson's 575 should do the trick with Federal Hvywt or TSS #9 out to 40 yards. I've shot both through a Carlsons 575 with 21" 870 that produced great hunting patterns for a kid.