Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Who rolls their own?

Started by mightyjoeyoung, March 29, 2021, 01:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

I've been reloading shotshells and metallic for decades.  TSS however is an all new experience.   I'm selling off a good portion (about half) of my turkey ammo stock to buy shot, components and the tools required to roll my own turkey loads.  That old saying pay once, bleed once may be true but holy crap!  I'm into this venture to the tune of about $600.  The only good thing is I've sold over $1,000 in turkey ammo so it washes out as far as cost.  Who else loads their own and what advantages other than knowing you loaded it yourself have you seen? 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

turkeyhunter91

This will be my first season hunting with tss I have loaded. I have been reloading my rifle ammo a few years now and to me I think it is cool hunting with something I loaded. Last fall my stepson killed a doe and my buck both came with shells I loaded. I enjoy loading and knowing exactly what it is. Good luck this spring.

zelmo1

I load my own TSS now. 20/28 gauge. I do not try to stuff every pellet possible into my loads. I target shoot as well as hunt and do a lot of patterning. I have found that a 1200 fps load generally patterns the best. I worked my loads to the 1200 fps and shoot a very even pattern. I am not a pellet counter. I want an even pattern at all distances. If the pattern blows out at less that 40 yards, your load is probably over pressured. Max doesn't mean" Best". Al

3seasons

I've been rolling my own for a few years now.  I like it because I am my quality control And I know what's going in each shell.  I load .410, 20ga and 12ga. I pattern A LOT and just figure out what load and choke works the best for each gun I shoot. 

wchadw

I've done mine own for last couple years. I have enough supplies I can make 410, 28 or 20 whenever I need. My TSS pattern as good or better than Apex and nitro. Do lead loads too.
Like knowing I can make mine whenever I need and not have to worry about finding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpaholic

been rolling for about 5 years now.  something my son an i do together.  however if they had sold apex back then i probably wouldnt fool with it.