Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Reserved for Mountainburd

Started by WildSpur, May 05, 2021, 08:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

This thread is reserved for Mountainburd.  Pics and story to follow!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Mountainburd

After a grueling season with many many many hours in the woods, I had to travel North to Pa to kill a bird. I went in blind to some land I got permission to hunt on. It was pouring rain and thunderstorms when I got out of the truck before daybreak. 10 minutes into my hunt I was soaked to
My underwear.

I knew I wanted to get out of the timber into the fields because of the rain, so I made my way down to some back fields as it was starting to get light. When it comes to turkey hunting, I'm pretty old school. Don't use decoys and never a blind. But I do own decoys and decided to put them out because of the weather and just give it a sit. I stick a hen and mature gobbler out in the field, get situated against a tree, and happen to look up and a gobbler is entering the field. Then all of a sudden it was 3 longbeards and a hen. Two of the gobblers start fighting about 70 yards out from me, and the other gobbler makes a beeline for my decoys. Come right into 25 yards and I knock him down. I run out to him and the other two gobblers are still fighting 65 yards from me. It was nuts. I never have hints like that.

Not a huge fan of the decoys but it was nice to have a bird for once fixated on something else, the decoys, rather than me at the tree.

9.5 inch beard 2-3 year old. I'll get pics up in contest thread.

Mountainburd

I can't wait to sleep past 5 am tommrow. It's been over a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Congrats brother!! Way to ride out that weather and score!! :icon_thumright:
I think you and I do things the hard way!!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Hayudog

That's a long stretch chasing gobblers without success. Way to stay after them. No question I prefer to chase them and be against a tree. Congratulations

Deputy 14

Way to stick with it buddy. Get you some well deserved sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountainburd

Thanks guys appreciate it. We need a couple more birds and we might put together a decent showing in the contest. You guys shot some nailers score wise.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Mountainburd on May 06, 2021, 07:35:44 AM
Thanks guys appreciate it. We need a couple more birds and we might put together a decent showing in the contest. You guys shot some nailers score wise.

^^^^ WTG MB!  Congrats on a good one. It did feel good to sleep in one day.   :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."