OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New to making calls - HELP  (Read 1710 times)

Offline yargerbomb

New to making calls - HELP
« on: May 05, 2021, 01:34:47 PM »
New to making pot calls.  Made a crystal over slate in a plastic dipped pot and it sounds awesome (Beginners luck).  I then decided to try a crystal over copper with a secondary feather glued to the copper in a bocote pot (finished with Teak oil w/ Laquer) and it sounds horrible.  I understand this is trial and error but are there any pointers or likely culprits to muffled sound?  I cant get any pitch out of it.  Thanks in advance from the rookie!!!

Offline Footballer

• Longbeard
Re: New to making calls - HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 01:47:26 PM »
Are you using pre-cut pots and just assembling them or are you turning pots on a lathe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yargerbomb

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »
Pre-cut pots.  Thanks!

Offline Footballer

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 02:02:05 PM »
I would try a different soundboard. There’s not many adjustments you can make with pre-cut pots. It’s either the surface combo or a glue issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yargerbomb

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 02:15:05 PM »
I believe the combination is ok as I have seen a few done like this.  Maybe the actual copper I got or in general the combination?

I ripped it all apart and cleaned the glue out.  I will try gluing it all again.  As it pertains to glue, i'm using E6000 and a syring with 18G needle.  I may try it with just the E6000 tip.  Is there a such thing as to much or to little glue?

Thanks for your patience.

Offline mmclain

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »
Bocote is very oily.   Glue will not hold very well if the pot cups any the surface will lose adhesion.