Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Perfect Timing

Started by callaway71, May 04, 2021, 09:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callaway71

Decided to take leave today to fix the garage door since the release mechanism broke this morning. Electricity went out around 5. The wife had to get out for work so I pulled the rope. POP! Luckily, it released so I could push the door up.

Anyways, I fixed it around 10. Decided to head to some public close to the house. Nothing on public, just hens out on private land. Traveled a short distance to a small piece of property I have permission to hunt. Eased down to the field and checked the north side. Nothing. Called a bit. Nothing. Eased through the woods to check the south side. This field bends a little so you can't see it all at once. Didn't see anything. Called lightly. Saw a turkey run through a gap in the far corner. Dang it. He must have seen me.

Decided to sit for a bit and see what happens. It wasn't two minutes I catch movement down near the end and three birds are running towards me. Turns out, two longbeards were chasing a jake off. The jake stops at about 50 yds and heads in the woods. Longbeards turn around and walk back to end of field. Dang it again. I waited a short time and crawled out in the field with my jake and hen decoy. If they were going to act aggressive I might as well give it a try. After a short break, I call again. 10-15 mins later here they come easing my way. The lead bird struts to about 30yds and that's close enough for me. Boom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Love it when a plan comes together. Congratulations man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Congrats... thanks for sharing