OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Retay Masai Mara 20ga Turkey XT  (Read 8681 times)

Offline va_gobbler_chaser

Re: Retay Masai Mara 20ga Turkey XT
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 11:27:13 AM »
People on here are commenting that they feel “cheap” and “bulky”

I do not comprehend that myself. Mine weighs 7lb even loaded with 3 TSS shells, sling, and trijicon SRO sight mounted on a Meadow creek mount. If a fully loaded fully set up gun that weighs 7lbs is to much weight for a healthy man then my lord I’d just quit lol. It is balanced amazingly and very thin feeling in my hands! I killed i think 9 gobblers with mine last spring and carried to 5 states. I love mine. Not a fan boy here. I am a pump man. Have always wanted a semi auto but had never found one that I fell in love with. Sure I liked Benelli M2’s but I’d spent hundreds building it the way I wanted and I can not stand long barrels for turkey hunting.

The Turkey XT comes drilled and tapped receiver, good trigger for factory trigger in a shotgun, factory forcing cone lengthened, short 22” barrel, no “Benelli click” with the inertia plus, thin in the hands, drilled steel bores, and camo dipped and on ready to hunt out the box for $1200.

I had never found a semi auto for turkey hunting that I loved and was willing to split time with my pumps. I knew when a couple years ago when I held a 12ga Retay Masai Mara and disassembled it at the NWTF show in Nashville that when ever the day came that Retay came out with a short barreled turkey model 20ga that I would own it!

Offline greentag

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
I love mine too,it’s slim feeling to me and I have a super black eagle 2,I love the short barrel qnd the crazy good patterns it shoots…I was wanting a m2 20 guage until I came accross the turkey xt retay,it would cost a ton to do the benelli all the things this Retay has from the factory…the slammer button,drilled,speed unloader,forcing cone  lengthened,barrel cut down…I live the way a m2 feels,but I have to say that with this short barrel the Retay feels just as good…and besides I don’t care to loose a few pounds to have a machined aluminum trigger guard and no plastic other than the stock,plus mine has a really good trigger,way better than my benellis,The one I got was the first one I had seen when they first came out and I got it for 999.00 and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat..I think it’s the nicest 20 guage out set up for turkeys right from the factory with everything you would want in a turkey gun….

Offline va_gobbler_chaser

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »
Exactly my thoughts to man

Offline mflmk

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 12:15:07 PM »
I love mine.

Only thing I did was had my gunsmith lower the trigger pull and travel and to note it wasn’t a bad factory trigger! Just not where I like a trigger to be for turkey hunting. It was around 5.5lb factory. I had it lowered to 3lb and he also cut the travel length in half. Other than that I’m in love with the gun. Feels great. Patterns very strong. The forcing come if factory lengthened in them. Gun comes apart with no tools in seconds.

I get 90 plus% retention at 40 yards with apex 9’s.

Offline Cbryant1

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 05:22:55 PM »
I don't understand the Cheap + Bulky Claims.
I have had a retay masai mara 12 gauge for 3 duck seasons and have NEVER, and i repeat NEVER had a failure to feed, fire or eject. It is the best auto loader on the market IMO. It breaks down in seconds and allows for easy cleaning of all components.

Last year i turkey hunted with a franchi elite 20 gauge, liked it but never got a super solid pattern from it. had the "Benelli click" happen on 2 separate occasions in one season. moving around, belly crawling, etc. knocks that bolt out of battery quite a bit. Also, not a quiet fix when you have a gobbler screaming at 100 yards. so this year i sold it and i bought a retay 20 gauge standard 26" barrel. After shooting it and using it. I'm so glad i did. these guns are extremely well built. The finish of the plastic stocks could be better. That's the case on alot of these sythetic guns now days. Both of my retays are well balanced and are flawless mechanically. I duck hunt with alot of people that use benellis and some of them have issues. All of these guns and manufactures have "lemons". However, my experience with retay has been great and their customer service is great! The Inertia Plus bolt system is the best inertia system on the market IMO.

Now i have a 12 ga and 20 ga matching pair! Hope this helps anyone on the fence about one.

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2022, 10:17:41 PM »
Bought one of these today ! I absolutely love the feel of the gun and it doesn't feel any heavier than my other inertia 20 gauge guns. It just seems so well built and the weight is distributed perfectly. My 13 year old says he is taking it over! Gonna get it set up this weekend just wondering which choke tube to try but first I will give the factory full 585 a chance. If anyone has some choke recommendations I am all ears as I understand these use the crio plus tubes ?

Offline rubachub

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2022, 07:52:38 AM »
I love my retay. I bought the standard with the 26” barrel and ordered a 22” barrel from retay for $300 shipped to my house. That barrel came drilled with a rail. I am using IC 562 with apex 9.

Target at 50 yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2022, 05:11:48 AM »
I've held them and gawked at them quite a bit...that coupled with the above pattern doesn't seem "cheap" at all. Its probably the fact that this is a Turkish made gun and they have had a stigma about them for a while, but thats no longer the case. Legacy put out the pointer phenoma and its a great gun all around. The mossbergs and some Weatherbys are also made in Turkey. Folks, don't let this shotgun go unnoticed if you're in the market for a great semi-auto , loaded with great features, for a great price.

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2022, 12:49:49 AM »
Update on mine, I am very pleased with this gun. I am sticking with the factory full 585 choke as it throws great patterns. The gun is a straight shooter and feels great . I shot bead and then went ahead and put a Swampfox kingslayer on the gun for my son. The juvenile hunt is close and he is set up and ready to go! I have other 20 gauge semi autos but this one is quickly becoming my favorite. My son shot it today as  I was getting POI correct with his sight. He absolutely loves the gun! Very pleased so far!