OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A step by step guide to mouth call making  (Read 8403 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: A step by step guide to mouth call making
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
Thought I would run this back up to the top now that we can see the light at the end of the long tunnel between spring gobbler seasons.  ;D

For those turkey hunters out there that are considering starting to make their own calls, this would be a good time to start rounding up materials and beginning to sort out the call making process.  I thought I would give a little guidance on how to get started (and since Christmas is coming up, this might be a good time to hint to somebody that this would be a good present for an aspiring turkey hunter... :) )

To start, here is a basic list of the ingredients you would need to order to get started.  You need to order call frames, calls tapes, and reed material/latex.
There are a few suppliers of these items, but I will refer to Pioneer products (no, I don't have any connection to them,...just have used their products since day one... others here may recommend other sources for these products)

Call frames:  I would suggest ordering 50 small frames (crowned, adhesive) as a starter.  Cost is $7.50 for 50 frames. 
   (This size frame is sort of a "one size fits all" alternative for the "average" mouth size, whether your palate is smaller or larger than average)

Call tapes:  Order 50 tapes in whatever color you prefer.  For the frames above, you would get the "pioneer hole tape".  Cost is $7.50 for 50 tapes.

Latex/Reed material:  I would order several thicknesses/colors of latex/proph.  Here's my suggestion from Pioneer as a "starter pack":
   Natural (or green) latex in .0025 thickness:  (come in 1X2 inch pieces).  Cost is $10 for 100 pieces
   Natural (or green, or black) in .003 thickness:                                       Cost is $10 for 100 pieces
   Gray, red, or yellow in .004                                                                  Cost is $10 for 100 pieces

Your total investment for materials to make 50 calls (and have the reed material left over for a bunch more) is $45.00 plus shipping
(if you order 100 frames and tapes, you should have enough materials for 100 calls for $60.00 plus shipping cost)

If you invest in a call making jig or press, you will obviously add a considerable cost factor there.  HOWEVER, you do not need any sort of jig or press to make mouth calls.  You can make them easily with the following additional tools (which you probably already have laying around the house):
a roll of scotch tape
a pair of sharp-pointed scissors
a small hammer/mallet (or similar tool for sealing the frames)
a flat surface that the scotch tape will stick to

That's all you need to start making your own mouth calls.  Now, if there ends up being enough interest expressed here in the call-making process without using a jig or press, I will try to put something together like Ben (compton30) did to show the process.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 11:04:17 AM »
Great post, Jim. That's really all a person needs to make a high quality call. Now if I could just tell myself that whenever I go to order new materials...

I'll tell ya, once you read about how many calls you can make for under 100 bucks, it really makes it difficult to buy one for 10+ dollars apiece.

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2021, 11:26:07 AM »
Thank you for the tutorial...and the instructive comments....

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »
What happened to the first two pages of this thread? For some reason they will not load.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think - Moliere

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2022, 02:41:01 PM »
What happened to the first two pages of this thread? For some reason they will not load.

Good question.  Those two pages are not showing up on my computer either, so it is not just you. 

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2022, 02:01:15 PM »

Good question.  Those two pages are not showing up on my computer either, so it is not just you.

Same for me. I have no idea what the problem could be. I believe I still have all the photos though so if we can't get a resolution I could make a new thread if the problem persists

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2022, 05:10:27 PM »

Same for me. I have no idea what the problem could be. I believe I still have all the photos though so if we can't get a resolution I could make a new thread if the problem persists

I’d like to see it all as well.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2022, 07:45:26 AM »
I'll send a message to Shannon and see if there's a resolution. If there isn't I'll make a new thread

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2023, 11:33:39 AM »
Bumping this thread to see if we can get the first two pages to load. Looks like it would be a great resource.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2023, 12:09:17 PM »
I did attempt to duplicate the post in a different thread, but the website itself literally wouldn't let me do just that, post a duplicate thread. Idk ????

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2023, 08:21:55 PM »
Thanks for trying. Could the thread or some attribute be renamed? Maybe a question for the moderator(s).

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2023, 07:58:23 PM »
I sure would like to see the beginning of this thread. I don't make mouth calls but I love reading about them and what goes into making them.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2023, 09:56:52 AM »
Gobblenut, is that how you tension your reeds individually? Just scotch tape them after applying hand tension?
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2023, 11:20:40 PM »
Gobblenut, is that how you tension your reeds individually? Just scotch tape them after applying hand tension?

Yes, exactly.  I tape one end of the reed material down, stretch laterally and tape the other end down. I also put whatever back (and/or front) tension on each reed by taping the back or front edges on each piece of reed material.  I just repeat that process with each reed layer.  Admittedly, this method obviously makes getting the same tensions on any one call difficult, if not impossible, but on the other hand, it also adds an element to call construction that, as far as I can tell, is not possible with using any sort of jig or press. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that my method of making calls is superior to making them with a jig or press.  I just enjoy experimenting with call construction and all the variables involved, and how each of those variables impacts the overall sound of a call.  I suppose I look at it as being another turkey-related thing I can do during the off-season...   :D