OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A step by step guide to mouth call making  (Read 8671 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
A step by step guide to mouth call making
« on: May 03, 2021, 03:25:53 AM »
So I've been thinking about making calls a lot and realized how steep the learning curve seems to be to those looking to get into it. When I began my trip down the call making trail, there was seemingly unending frustration. I nearly filled a Maxwell House coffee container before I could finally make a call that would be good enough to take to the field. Back then all I wanted was a passable yelp, cluck, and a call that could handle cutting/cackling. As I said, it was probably hundreds of calls thrown away before I even reached that level. Now as I've grown as a call maker, tailoring the calls to my own calling style, while also becoming a better caller, I can make calls that will function through all the vocalizations I am trying to create. My calls aren't perfect, and I don't sell them. At the very least, I hope this will get someone new to the hobby into the right ballpark so they don't waste time, materials, and their sanity struggling to get a turkey sound out of latex. 

Here is my step by step process:

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: A step by step guide to mouth call making
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:40:51 AM »
I use a Feather Ridge stretcher these days, but when I first got started I just used a jig I got off eBay for $10 bucks and a set of calipers. It worked well, and I only upgraded to the Feather Ridge because I could afford it and it's just faster and easier.

Now, as far as what I use, in the above photo you can see:

-Small scissors
-Small Pliers
-Larger needle nose pliers
-Corn Cob holder
-Feather Ridge jig
-Feather Ridge cutter
- Tape
- Small Crowned Adhesive Frames
-Bags for finished calls

In the following posts I'll show you how I use each. In this post, I'll also tag the different latex/proph I have on hand.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:47:48 AM »
These are my combinations of latex and proph, and the side tension that I stretch them with on the jig. Use these as a baseline for your own call making. Each of us are different, and maybe you like a little more or less tension. These work for me and should get you inside of the ballpark.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 03:51:04 AM »
For this step by step, I'm going to be using a Red .004 for my top reed and two Blue Proph .0025 pieces for my bottom reed. I think they'll be a little easier to see than if using the clear proph.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 03:54:57 AM »
Step 1:

I start with the heavier Red .004 as my first layer. For most of this process I build the call upside down, as in, not the way it will eventually end up when you place it in your mouth to play. Then, I lay on the the first layer of proph with a small amount of offset. Once I have it where I want it, I tack all four corners with my Corn Cob holder to get the layers to stick together.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 03:58:17 AM »
Step 2:

Repeat the process if making a 3 reed call.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 04:00:29 AM »
With our latex tacked together, we move to the step of stretching.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 04:02:33 AM »
Step 3:

With our latex tacked and in the jaws of the jig, we stretch to our desired tension.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 04:07:04 AM »
Step 4:

With our latex safely stretched, remove the tape from the back to expose the adhesive, bend 3/4 of the way closed, and slide over our stretched and stacked latex with the tab on the backside of our stack. Remember, we're building this upside down.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 04:09:16 AM »
Step 5:

With the frame over the latex stack, I then take my small pliers and crimp both sides of the frame to lock in the side tension.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 04:17:41 AM »
Step 6:

I then take the needle nose pliers in my right hand, and pull my desired amount of back tension. Some pull until they have the front of the call with a "Smile" or " ) " type shape. Some just pull enough to get the wrinkles out. Ultimately, it's up to you. Now, with my back tension pulled, I grab the frame with the pliers and remove the call from the jig. I then flip the tab on the bottom, sealing up the call.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 04:24:29 AM »
Step 7:

With the call sealed up, I slide the scissors between the top red reed and the first blue reed and make my cut progression

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 04:25:54 AM »
This one is going to be a clipped V cut, a cut that works for me.

Remember to always cut your call before applying tape. If you screw up the cut, you will waste latex and a frame, but you won't waste a piece of tape.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:35:05 AM by compton30 »

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 04:28:22 AM »
Step 8:

I apply the tape. I just like to square it up on the front side, press it down, flip it over and then just fold it up over the other side. Again, this is my method, choose whatever works the best and easiest for you

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 04:33:23 AM »
Step 9:

Taped up and ready for the cutter. At this point, you could use a template from another call or pill bottle cap to get your call the size and shape you want it and cut it out with scissors. It works perfectly well. I am lazy and talked myself into needing the Feather Ridge cutter.