OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to silent gobblers?

Started by Jc69, April 28, 2021, 03:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jc69

I'm newer to turkey hunting, I'll describe the situation the best I can.  I'm in a 3,000 acre lease, a mix of hardwood mountain hollers, and planted pine .  1 bird killed last year, and 1 bird killed this year.  Only maybe 7 people turkey hunt this and they have all given up already.  But every year, they gobble on opening day and then shut up or dissappear.  Game camera just 5 months ago had 5 nice gobblers in one location, not sure how many over all are on this lease, but they are around.  Season started April 19th, which is late and runs through May 9.  But just like last year, after opening day, no gobbles?  Everyone that hunts sticks to the hardwoods, myself included.  My only thought is they are still there and just silent or possibly hide out in the planted pine where no one hunts.  I'll be away from the computer tomorrow, for a day or so but will check back.  Open to suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ChesterCopperpot

When they ain't saying nothing about your only option is to set up on good sign and historically good areas and wait. It it most certainly not the funnest way to hunt them but patience kills birds and in this scenario you don't have any other option except to go elsewhere. Hunt the sign and be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

The main rule for success is to understand that it is a Cardinal sin to allow them to know that you exist.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

coyote1

Wish I could help but the same thing happens on my property. I'm in the second year on this property and still trying to figure it out. My solution for now is to move to a different property  I have had success on in the past.

Paulmyr

Quote from: silvestris on April 28, 2021, 07:09:38 PM
The main rule for success is to understand that it is a Cardinal sin to allow them to know that you exist.

X2
Quit spooking the turkeys.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.