OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Crazy story  (Read 1692 times)

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
Crazy story
« on: April 27, 2021, 04:22:46 PM »
Once I get some time, I will tell the story.  Giant bird on my lunch break.  69.25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Crazy story
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 10:12:07 PM »
Congrats man!!

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 09:34:41 AM »
So yesterday I was feeling kinda down and out... bc the evening prior I had caught a poacher on our property AND he blatantly killed a hen.  So I'm sitting at work and a vendor had invited me to lunch but I passed.  So I get in my truck and just drive aimlessly, and it dawns on me that my grandfather owns some land in the neighboring parish so I type the address in to see how far it is.  It says 19.6 miles so I say heck, lemme drive over and see if i see any tracks.  Keep in mind, I have set foot on this property 2-3 times in my life, the last being 2008 or so.

So I park at the gate, threw on a camo shirt from the backseat, my work pants were brownish so i figured they would do,  walk past the camp, all the while getting destroyed by gnats.  I see some decoys laying on the ground and boot prints so I know someone has been hunting there, and assume there must be a turkey around.  I see a set of old turkey tracks but nothing fresh.

Behind the camp is about a 400 yard long food plot.  I call from the center of the plot and hear nothing.  I walk behind the plot about 150 yards on a woods road and decided that was as far as I was gonna go.  The gnats were unbearable.  I yelp once and a bird gobbles about 350 yards away.  As I contemplate my next move, he gobbles 3 more times, so I say GAME ON.  I cut the distance by about 100 yards, all the while this bird is hammering.  I make a couple of yelps and he answers, but he basically stayed in the same spot for 5 mins so I shut up... and then he shuts up... so I get ready.  Sure enough, here he comes 90, 80, 70, 60 yards and gets behind the only trees i had blocking a shot.  He starts hammering again, I can hear him drumming.  I scratch the leaves a little, he hammers.  After what seemed like an eternity, he comes out to my right.  I putt at him to make him stop in a clearing, and let the 20 gauge eat at 36 yards.

I'm FULLY expecting a 2 year old bird, based on his behavior, but when I grab the bird I couldn't believe what I saw.  Holy cow, I just killed a giant.  Then I drove back to work.  All in all, it was about 1 hour and 45 minute lunch break.  I guess I'm gonna have to go check out the land again soon.

Offline callaway71

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 12:08:01 PM »
Congrats! Sounds like it was meant to be.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 01:14:17 PM »
Way to be persistent...Thanks for sharing

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
Lucky dog! Congratulations. I lost my good farm the Saturday before season after hunting it that morning with my daughter (youth day) and my buddy’s boy. So, it’s good to know that while some of us are struggling, others are doing well. Nice bird man. Very happy for you.

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »
Lucky dog! Congratulations. I lost my good farm the Saturday before season after hunting it that morning with my daughter (youth day) and my buddy’s boy. So, it’s good to know that while some of us are struggling, others are doing well. Nice bird man. Very happy for you.

Thanks guys.  WV, It has been a TOTAL struggle this year.  Worst year I've ever had in my home state(s)... so far haven't had an adult gobbler even come towards me.  This 1 bird turned a crappy year into a great one... that's why we keep going back.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Crazy story
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 10:35:16 PM »

Thanks guys.  WV, It has been a TOTAL struggle this year.  Worst year I've ever had in my home state(s)... so far haven't had an adult gobbler even come towards me.  This 1 bird turned a crappy year into a great one... that's why we keep going back.
Valid point brother. I’m proud of you. I don’t care what these other guys say about ya. You’re cool in my book. Haha

Offline Holtbensley

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 07:56:01 AM »
Congratulations loved reading the story!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]