OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fooled one real good  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Uncle Tom

Fooled one real good
« on: April 25, 2021, 11:05:07 AM »
Opening morning N.C. hunt, I got one out 100 yds in a pasture full strut....like 10:00 in morning. Had been clucking and lite purrs every 30 minutes or so. He stands his ground strutting for one hour but would not budge off that knoll in the pasture. I was hid real good behind some logs had piled up and just could see over the top of them. Finally he works off to a bottom and gone....try again tomorrow. Well, from looks of him I figured he a mature bird...full fan, deep gobbles, smart bird. Next morning I was sitting in same spot at first light, and about 9:30 let out some soft clucks/purrs. About 30 minutes went by and look to my left and he walking a cow path in middle of the pasture, stopping every few steps going into half strut. Well, I had an ole Lynch box call in my pack and get it out....made a cluck/purr and shook the handle on that box call....made the prettiest gobble you ever heard. Well, he starts walking across that pasture like 100 yds to the wood line. All of a sudden 4 jakes that I had seen early that morning on the wood line...they chasing him right back where he came from. They stopped and he just standing there probably 80 yds out in front of me. I purred at him several times...but no gobble. Think he figured the gobbler gone so now my turn. Jakes turned went back to woods. Well slowly he worked his way to me and probably took 30 minutes...but he on a mission. He got behind a big oak that I had ranged like 40 yards and I knew when he stepped out from behind that tree he had a problem. Stepped out in full strut...I clucked and that head sticks straight up. Weighed about 20 lbs. double beard. My first. I will always believe he thought that gobbler I was making with his hen....was gone and he decides it his turn. Sometimes this works, sometimes it don't. Just have to be careful and hope no more hunters around. Had not been for the jakes he probably would be gone....you just never can figure them out but have to take what they give you.

Online Twowithone

• Longbeard
Re: Fooled one real good
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »
Way to go on the Gobbler.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 07:57:20 PM »
Congrats :)

Offline MissLouHunter

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 09:42:06 AM »
Great story!