turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#1 best turkey tip ever

Started by strum, April 23, 2021, 06:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

I have buddies who every time I say " hey you wanna hunt in the morn"   say things like... Its gonna be to windy ..or man this cold front is gonna shut em down so ill wait.. or they saying it might rain. i really should go to work ect..   but they will talk turkey with me .. Now Im no expert and dont claim to be anything here.. I just love to hunt turkeys and I end up wIth a limit most every year ... my secret you ask?
ROLL OUT OF BED AND GET OUT THERE!!!!!

Ok there it is fight me  :funnyturkey:

Gmed

27 degrees yesterday morning and 29 this morning. My boy took a nice gobbler yesterday and I took one this morning. Bout had to drag out the deer season clothes. I almost talked myself out of getting out of bed that early today, but sure glad I didn't!!!!

Tom007

#1 Turkey tip: you can't harvest one from the couch, gotta be in it to win it.....
"Solo hunter"

WildTigerTrout

The turkeys are out there no matter what(ie. rain, wind, cold etc.).  IMO the key to success is persistence, dedication and patience.   You can't get one from the couch.  I agree with strum 100% however time in the woods and matching wits with a smart gobbler is more important to me at this point than the kill.  I love the game!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

guesswho

I was always taught to hunt like your being hunted.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wareagle22

Hunt where there are turkeys!!!!

Chordeiles

Quote from: wareagle22 on April 24, 2021, 01:52:05 AM
^^^^^^This right here!

Doesn't matter what the weather is, if there's no turkeys around......took me awhile to figure that out lol.

strum

Quote from: Chordeiles on April 24, 2021, 04:08:35 AM
^^^^^^This right here!

Doesn't matter what the weather is, if there's no turkeys around......took me awhile to figure that out lol.

Yep been there too. Sometimes though you got to take a chance.  I may invest one morn to a questionable  spot but ill not keep going back if I find its a dud.

GobbleNut

Quote from: strum on April 23, 2021, 06:28:08 PM
I have buddies who every time I say " hey you wanna hunt in the morn"   say things like... Its gonna be to windy ..or man this cold front is gonna shut em down so ill wait.. or they saying it might rain. i really should go to work ect..   but they will talk turkey with me .. Now Im no expert and dont claim to be anything here.. I just love to hunt turkeys and I end up wIth a limit most every year ... my secret you ask?
ROLL OUT OF BED AND GET OUT THERE!!!!!

Yep,...all other things being equal, perseverance and persistence are probably what matters the most.  Learn where the turkeys are.  Learn how to call.  Learn the required woods skills.
After that, stay out there after 'em,...even when you are discouraged, frustrated, and think there is no hope! 

HFultzjr

Quote from: Chordeiles on April 24, 2021, 04:08:35 AM
^^^^^^This right here!

^^^^^^^ This

And no matter what call you have ($$$), if they aren't there, they wont play.
:OGani:

Paulmyr

Be confident In what you are doing! If your going to call to him, call to him. Don't think about it you'll tense up. Your calling will not be like your practice. You'll grasp the striker/ paddle tighter losing vibration. You'll press your tongue harder against the call. It won't sound right. You can do it. You've done it plenty of times practicing. Be confident.
Hunt like your being hunted is a good one mentioned earlier. Always be ready. Keep movements to a minimum. Think about how fast your legs are moving when going through the woods. Keep them slow.
Your #1 tool is your ears. Use them. Listen to the woods around you. Squirrels barking, crows squawking, leaves rustling can be clues that a bird is near. Pay attention. Most often it's not the case but some of time it is and you'll be ready. Listen for that contact cluck. Turkeys use it when they think another turkey is near. It's only one cluck. If your not paying attention you'll miss it and most likely spook the bird.
Put the dang phone down! Word games while turkey hunting????? I'm not even going there!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

longbow59

Get as close as possible, call softly.

bbcoach

IT'S A GAME, GET OFF THE BENCH AND GET IN THE GAME AND BE PATIENT.

Meleagris gallopavo

I can count the number of days I didn't hunt on one hand this season.  When I talk to others that don't hunt or hunt when it's convenient they say they don't have time or this and that.  They try to make me feel like I don't have my priorities in order.  If you like to do something you're passionate about you will find a way to make it happen and get your other obligations done too.  That's how I look at it.  I got up at 4:00 AM most mornings this year to hunt.  I did oversleep one morning but I went hunting for an hour anyway.  On weekdays I hunt until I need to leave to be at work on time which is 8:00 AM.  I don't like taking annual leave to hunt because I like to use my annual leave for vacations with the family.  If I don't kill a bird by 7:00 or 7:30 AM I don't kill one, but I know if I'm hunting I have a chance to and if I'm hunting I'm enjoying myself.  My hunting spots are all within 30 minutes of where I live and I only hunt places within 15 minutes or less to work during the week and reserve the other places for the weekend.  I go to church every Sunday and teach a men's Sunday School class at 10:00 AM.  I killed my nicest gobbler last Sunday and still had time to get home, put the whole bird in a fridge I have in the garage just for that circumstance, take a shower, get dressed and was at church by 9:45 AM.   I don't choose between doing what I love and keeping other commitments, I figure out how to do both and make it work.  Turkey season only lasts a little over a month total between NC and VA, so it's not like I have to burn the candle at both ends all year.  Not everyone has jobs or family obligations to make both work all the time, but if there are opportunities that can be made you need to look for them, if you really enjoy doing them.  All that being said I see the end of turkey season as bittersweet.  Sure I'm gonna miss turkey hunting for a year, but by the end of the season I'm tired and I typically lose about 10-15 lbs, but it will be good to relax some until next time.  I'm kinda glad I don't limit out early and I filled my last tag yesterday which was the last day of the Virginia season.  I imagine if I did tag out early I may try and find someone to take hunting, which I do anyway even if I'm not tagged out, or I may go out and try to get them in close enough to shoot with my camera phone at 30 yards or less.  In my opinion, you find a way to do what you love or you must not love it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tom007

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 16, 2021, 04:10:50 PM
I can count the number of days I didn't hunt on one hand this season.  When I talk to others that don't hunt or hunt when it's convenient they say they don't have time or this and that.  They try to make me feel like I don't have my priorities in order.  If you like to do something you're passionate about you will find a way to make it happen and get your other obligations done too.  That's how I look at it.  I got up at 4:00 AM most mornings this year to hunt.  I did oversleep one morning but I went hunting for an hour anyway.  On weekdays I hunt until I need to leave to be at work on time which is 8:00 AM.  I don't like taking annual leave to hunt because I like to use my annual leave for vacations with the family.  If I don't kill a bird by 7:00 or 7:30 AM I don't kill one, but I know if I'm hunting I have a chance to and if I'm hunting I'm enjoying myself.  My hunting spots are all within 30 minutes of where I live and I only hunt places within 15 minutes or less to work during the week and reserve the other places for the weekend.  I go to church every Sunday and teach a men's Sunday School class at 10:00 AM.  I killed my nicest gobbler last Sunday and still had time to get home, put the whole bird in a fridge I have in the garage just for that circumstance, take a shower, get dressed and was at church by 9:45 AM.   I don't choose between doing what I love and keeping other commitments, I figure out how to do both and make it work.  Turkey season only lasts a little over a month total between NC and VA, so it's not like I have to burn the candle at both ends all year.  Not everyone has jobs or family obligations to make both work all the time, but if there are opportunities that can be made you need to look for them, if you really enjoy doing them.  All that being said I see the end of turkey season as bittersweet.  Sure I'm gonna miss turkey hunting for a year, but by the end of the season I'm tired and I typically lose about 10-15 lbs, but it will be good to relax some until next time.  I'm kinda glad I don't limit out early and I filled my last tag yesterday which was the last day of the Virginia season.  I imagine if I did tag out early I may try and find someone to take hunting, which I do anyway even if I'm not tagged out, or I may go out and try to get them in close enough to shoot with my camera phone at 30 yards or less.  In my opinion, you find a way to do what you love or you must not love it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post. I always think of the #1 reason why I SHOULD go, I might harvest a beautiful gobbler....
"Solo hunter"