OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dixon chalk

Started by quackaddict, February 14, 2022, 08:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quackaddict

Is there a difference in the white or blue Dixon half moon chalk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Spring Creek Calls

I don't have any experience with the Dixon half moon chalks but I do use the Dixon large sticks in brick red. Let me know if you'd like to try one.  Mike
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Greg Massey

Chalk's provide grip to the rails between the lid and rail. The old red brick chalk is a finer chalk which provide more friction to the rails as were white or blue is more of a coarser grain of chalk which will provide less friction between the lid and rails. Take for instant the old red brick chalk as your applying it to your calls or boxes you have to be careful because it can get all over your hands and stain about anything it get's on, with the blue you have a chalk that's more confined to itself and has more of a gain texture to the chalk, same with white, so it's all in what you fell you want to use and what sounds your wanting to achieve in chalking your calls. That's why sometimes you can mix the 2 different colors of chalk to achieve a different friction which cause a less or deeper hen sound on the rails of the call. So chalk is all about causing friction to the call and grip which produces sound and rasp or rasp and sound. IMO

wolfman

what is a good source for chalk?  and preference?  i try to match the chalk to the call i receive from the call maker.  but i've seen box calls from the same call maker with two different types (red, white).

Greg Massey

Quote from: wolfman on February 15, 2022, 10:28:47 AM
what is a good source for chalk?  and preference?  i try to match the chalk to the call i receive from the call maker.  but i've seen box calls from the same call maker with two different types (red, white).
The old red brick is very hard to find .. now a chalk that's is very similar is the Primos chalk that comes in a little plastic case with about 3 small sticks in the container. The old HS Strut chalk in white or blue is good. Now some people buy a sphere of white from Lowe's that's a good chalk.. Preachman uses this chalk for most all of his calls. Dave Halloran sells a good blue chalk in the sphere shape also.. that's the only blue i use is Dave's .. the red i use is the old red brick sphere shape chalk, which i have lifetime supply of and i bought a case of white years ago in the sticks and it's called Walthan chalk which again you can't find anymore. I will also use some brown in a sphere shape which was made for perfection game calls .. very hard to find..

culpeper

The old half-moon shaped chalk which came in white, blue and brick red, made by Dixon is not made anymore and has't been for about 5 years or so now.  Greg M. is right about the friction abilities and that each builder and hunter like what they like.  Every once is a while you might find some in an old hardware store, but it's prettty rare.

quackaddict

Quote from: culpeper on February 15, 2022, 02:52:30 PM
The old half-moon shaped chalk which came in white, blue and brick red, made by Dixon is not made anymore and has't been for about 5 years or so now.  Greg M. is right about the friction abilities and that each builder and hunter like what they like.  Every once is a while you might find some in an old hardware store, but it's prettty rare.
Check Amazon.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

culpeper

Quote from: quackaddict on February 15, 2022, 03:00:20 PM
Check Amazon.

Quote from: quackaddict on February 15, 2022, 03:00:20 PM
Check Amazon.
Yes I saw that, but even thpough it's NEW, it's not the same as the older chalk and definitely not the same as the burnt orange color

wchadw

I got some blue half moon off eBay not too long ago. Said it was Dixon chalk

quackaddict

Culpeper, what makes this new Dixon chalk different?