OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How’s everyone’s season going?  (Read 6198 times)

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
Re: How’s everyone’s season going?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2021, 10:24:54 PM »
Nice job Leaf.
Hard to beat the way that unfolded with your Brother.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2021, 11:52:45 PM »
Anybody still givin'r? Seasoned closed in BC today but family kept me away from the chase up here. I think I have negotiated 2 days of hunting next week... looking at a possible Eastern hunt so hopping to find one and improve my team contribution.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2021, 07:49:51 AM »
Best of luck next week Avid and everyone else still chasing birds.
My season is closed.
Nice job team!

My focus has shifted to archery, black bears, and whitetail.

...and I'm still convinced that there is no other type hunting more over complicated than Turkey Hunting.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2021, 01:01:29 PM »
Still hunting. Actually taking care of work that needs my attentions so I can hunt more this following week.
Question for y'all. Has anyone seen a wild gobbler lately? If so pm me directions to him. Asking for a friend. He would really like to see one to confirm that they actually exist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2021, 05:29:12 PM »
I have just started to hear gobbles this week, seems the second I call they shut up though. I have not seen anything.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2021, 10:53:34 PM »
Still hunting. Actually taking care of work that needs my attentions so I can hunt more this following week.
Question for y'all. Has anyone seen a wild gobbler lately? If so pm me directions to him. Asking for a friend. He would really like to see one to confirm that they actually exist.

If he’s willing to come to WA I’ll drop you a pin for each of the following; roost, strut tree, watering hole, and preferred hen to pester on the nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2021, 04:43:10 AM »

If he’s willing to come to WA I’ll drop you a pin for each of the following; roost, strut tree, watering hole, and preferred hen to pester on the nest.

Sounds like my friend will be spending more time looking for the pins you dropped than actually hunting. They are pretty hard to find I hear. He isn't to tech savvy so it might need to be more of a giant road sign with arrows.

Offline boomer

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2021, 08:47:30 PM »
I finally get to hunt again this weekend.  Haven't been able to for the last month. Work has gotten really busy. The couple days I had off always seemed to be raining.  This weekend will probably be the end of the season for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2021, 09:03:37 PM »
I’m packing to go chase some WA ghost this weekend. See if I can complete my state slam….

Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2021, 09:10:39 PM »
Heading out in the morning, got really sun sick two days ago, I still do not feel great but have to get out there. I was also spraying calls and it is possible the lacquer got to me as well. Feel totally beat and sick to my stomach but at least I have been able to eat a bit today. Went to bed night before last before the sun went down and never work up to 4:30 in the afternoon. I do not do very well when it first starts getting hot so say a prayer for me please.

You guys traveling prayers for safe journey and best of luck to y'all and those not traveling far either.

I have not been able to practice much this year, landlady is dying from cancer so I have been trying to keep things quiet, I think my cadence has suffered so I am sitting here listening to Real Turkey's 5 by Lovett Williams trying to get the proper cadence down in my head.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline boomer

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2021, 10:26:46 PM »
Hunted Saturday only heard 1 bird gobbled once on the limb and twice on the ground. Stayed out until noon. On the way out I bumped a couple birds out of a crp field. So looked for a spot to set up on them on Sunday morning. 

Well talked to a buddy Saturday night that hasn't shot a bird yet this season. So told him if he wanted to tag along be at the house at 3:30am(kinda hoping he said that's too early) haha But he said ok.

At sunrise we heard 4 different birds gobbling. After flydown had a couple hens come check out the decoys. After an hour all was quiet.  We're standing there trying to decide on what to do. I spotted a turkey bobbing threw the cedar trees coming our way. Ended up being a tom. He shot it at 25yrds. Wished I would've looked better before I got up because there was 2 toms following him about 20yrds behind him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »
And that is a wrap folks!

Had a great weekend out chasing Easterns on the west side of Washington. Went into a trusty creek bottom that had birds back in April and at about 5:50 3 birds lit up the draw below me. I slipped through the regrowth down to the lower road now about 200yds from the roost and got comfy. Started a good conversation with them and was settling in to get nice and quite when I looked my gun over.....choke was still in the truck.... so was sitting there wondering if I should hope to call them in to 10yds and take a no choke shot or just back out. At about 8am I elected on the later and slipped out back to my truck. Since its open cuts and such I didnt want to really waltz back in so I moved to another cut to scout it out...turned into an 8mi jaunt back to where I was that morning. Set up in a good spot up top, problem was I my truck was 5.5mi away still. A buddy said he could give me a lift so after a 2hr sit I went to retrieve the truck. Moved it back to the desired gate and walked in again ready hoping to catch the birds going to there roost or put one to bed. Mind you we have 16hrs of shooting light right now so its long days. Coming back in I glass up two toms on the far hill a half mile out. Would be like walking across the moon to go straight at them so I could either sit where I was and watch them for 3+ hrs until they went to bed or make a move and still put them to bed. Welp I did the 3mi walk around keeping them out of view but in view as much as I could. I pick them up half way and they are higher on a different road. Can see 3 birds now. They are big as I can see their beards through the binos. I decide I want to get to the juction of the two roads I have now seen them all to set up. I'm steps away from sitting down to set up when I catch black movement around the corner of the road. I tuck out of the way and contemplate what to do next. Did I bump them, did they see me? I have a strutter decoy and in a fanning fashion inch to see if they are there now knowing where to look. Nope they haven't noticed me yet and one is working in my direction. I stab the decoy in the ground and wait behind it. The bird crossed the road and picks up the decoy. He stands up tall to look at it and figure out what he should do next. I range the tree behind him at 61 yds so he is probably at 55yds. I can consciously make this shot having patterned and taken birds at this range. Though my last 3 seasons I've only taken one birds past 20yds and I'm just way use to really getting a bird to commit. So instead of waiting for his buddies to come meet him or see if he will come closer on his own I elect to start trying to inch closer to him and get him to commit. Well that was a dumb move and after moving about half a foot he turns and briskly walks away. A) when I first saw the birds I could have gone 45 to the side of the road instead of 90 and stayed out of few preliminarily cutting the distance B) I could have hunkered down or C) I could have taken a well presented shot. There was no putts, no real pressure felt by the bird, they just have a lot of sense to not tempt fait. I sat there and gathered my thoughts but eventually backed out to try again the next day.

Intel from friends and sign on the road indicated that this was a birdie spot so I was going to camp here all day. Not my style and as I mentioned that would be 16hr sit (ya I didnt make that). None the less Sunday I was able to now drive into this spot almost (parked a mile out) packed up the hill and was set up on that corner before the first gobble of the morning. Which came from the creek bottom, so the birds or other birds were still playing in the area. Before fly down and ask I'm throwing up my mask a coyote comes and attacks my hen decoy. Only reason I didnt shoot is I wanted to kill a turkey and lighting the place up at 6am with a gun shot just didnt seam like a good idea. Well then shortly after 8am here comes 3 hounds running up the road as a guy is just doing his think conditioning his dogs. Being as I hid my truck so far away he had no idea I was up there. Had a good chat and he turned around.  A bit later a bird gobbled down the way which is beyond rare to hear a bird after 7am. I stayed put and kept at it until sometime around 11am. Decided on a break and to do some recon for future hunting next year. Slipped out quitly and found a completely new area with a little sign but good knobs to listen from next season. Returned to my trusty spot at 2pm after provisions and got settled in again. Sat it out until almost 7pm when I convinced myself I muffed it all up the day prior.

Great season with more lessons learned which Only makes a better hunter next year. Didnt do half the, shoot a quarter, of the hunting planned because of family well being but a good season none the less. I picked up two birds, helped a youth into his first two birds, virtually helped a coworker-son duo, cousin, and out of state folks in to countless other birds, and sealed the coffin on a best friends addiction to the sport with his two birds together this spring.

Finish strong everyone.... only 291 more days until the 2022 season!
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2021, 08:28:15 PM »
Hey outdoorsman,
I am still looking err I mean my friend is still looking for those pins you dropped in West Alabama.

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2021, 10:39:29 AM »
Hey outdoorsman,
I am still looking err I mean my friend is still looking for those pins you dropped in West Alabama.

Check your inbox! I said WA but I suppose I can help you with some AL. If you sit and don't move from the green one, guarantee a bird will walk by at some point everyday!
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »
It isn't a tame one is it? Hard for me to update my tweeter profile looking like a true turkey professional with a couple banty roosters and layin hens in the background. I figured Washington was prolly what you meant but West Alabama is closer and I got some work going on down there in that state. Its a little more convenient.