OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sanding a call after finish and proper order of aplication  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Sanding a call after finish and proper order of aplication
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 09:14:42 PM »

steve,, go to lowes/home depot and get these, they are used for putting title down on the floor,,plastic spacers of whatever size you want,, get the 1/8 inch spacers.. put between the soundboard  and the inner wall of the pot call,, ,, glue and clamp down the soundboard using this spacers, and it will not move on you when drying,,,,,,,,
I will do that next time and buy some clamps as well, I just put a couple of cans of mixed veggies on them to hold them down.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:55:45 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 10:45:44 AM »
Nice job on those calls, they turned out looking good

are you happy with the sound your getting

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 11:04:10 AM »
Nice job on those calls, they turned out looking good

are you happy with the sound your getting
Thank you. I am very happy with the sound I am getting from the purple slate, the other is a gift for a member here so I will never hear it, I want him to be able to see it before it is conditioned,  I will be ordering the same kit for myself later this week and I will let you know then.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 02:21:55 PM »

steve,, go to lowes/home depot and get these, they are used for putting title down on the floor,,plastic spacers of whatever size you want,, get the 1/8 inch spacers.. put between the soundboard  and the inner wall of the pot call,, ,, glue and clamp down the soundboard using this spacers, and it will not move on you when drying,,,,,,,,
I picked up a bag of these today, do they just pop out of the circle or will I need a exactoknife?

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

Offline Seth41

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2021, 03:47:41 PM »
I believe laquer dissolves into itself so you don’t  have to sand between coats.  It’s always best to try to spray thin coats. I finished a guitar neck with tru oil and I really like the finish it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True Oil is nice forgiving stuff.  I wanted to mention a grain sealer I use when making Irish button concertinas.  It’s UV cured and called Solarez “Can’t Believe it’s Not Lacquer”.  After it’s applied you put it in the sun for a few minutes or use a UV curing light and it cured immediately and can be sanded right away.  The stuff by itself leaves a fantastic finish hence the name.

Seth
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2021, 06:21:24 PM »
I believe laquer dissolves into itself so you don’t  have to sand between coats.  It’s always best to try to spray thin coats. I finished a guitar neck with tru oil and I really like the finish it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True Oil is nice forgiving stuff.  I wanted to mention a grain sealer I use when making Irish button concertinas.  It’s UV cured and called Solarez “Can’t Believe it’s Not Lacquer”.  After it’s applied you put it in the sun for a few minutes or use a UV curing light and it cured immediately and can be sanded right away.  The stuff by itself leaves a fantastic finish hence the name.

Seth
Thank you very much for the information Seth.

John Koenig: