OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 1st of the season  (Read 1418 times)

Offline turkeyhunter91

1st of the season
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:01:20 PM »
this is my first year doing the turkey contest so this is the first bird i have entered, i messed up when filling the page out because he actually had 1 1/16 in spur and not a 1 in and a 10 3/8 not 10 1/4 but i already had the bird skinned before i noticed my wife put the wrong thing on the page so hopefully it dont come down real close in the contest haha.  He scored 63.75

we have had a pretty good regular season so far, the birds hasn't gobbled much or been very visible but we have been on birds, yesterday i could have shot 2 but i wasn't able to get any video and just didn't like the situation. connor got close to getting a chance at this bird during youth season and we hunted for him opening morning with my dad but about 180 yards is as close as he came before the hens led him away. this evening he was with 3 hens in a little clump of woods in the middle of the field when we pulled up. me and connor made a big circle through the woods and came up to a deep ditch that runs along the edge of the field. i got situated and started watching him from about 90 yards away, there was a small tree that i had to put my feet against because the side of the ditch was so steep i was sliding off. the birds stayed down in that small patch of trees for a hr or so before going over a small rise. i decided to move on down the ditch and get to where i thought they would come back up. i told connor u get here and watch them and im gonna go about 50 yards over the bank. i crawl down there and get up to the field. he had feed farther out in the patch of woods and i could see him about 80 yards away feeding. i kept watching and his hens started feeding up the hill towards where i came from so i slip back into the ditch and get back to the original spot. they started feeding back down the hill and ended up getting about 30 yards from where i had just left, so i was kicking my butt and hoping that they would do what i originally thought they would and feed back up the fence line. finally they start my way and i get ready, the first hen pops out about 20 yards away but is feeding so i turn my cam on and was adjusting it when the 2nd one popped up and caught a little movement and started putting and heading up the hill, i left the camera recording cause i figured he would follow and when he came up over the rise i tagged my first bird for 2021 and this is also the first turkey i have killed with a shell i have loaded. he weighted 22 pound 3 ounces had a 10 3/8 in beard and 1 1/16 and 1 1/8 spurs. i prob wont carry my gun again till i get dad on a bird, i sure do love this time of year.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: 1st of the season
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 12:46:25 AM »
Atta boy.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 07:00:19 AM »
Beautiful bird and a beautiful setting for one. Great job!

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 03:45:02 PM »
Nice bird bro  :turkey2:

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 07:21:41 PM »
Great bird. Congrats!!

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 06:33:30 AM »
Congrats! This team is starting to roll now!

Offline TKE921

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »
Nice