OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Buckshot through IC

Started by tha bugman, April 19, 2021, 12:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Would it be safe to shoot buck shot through my Indian Creek choke .665?  Been walking up on hogs and hate to let that good meat just slip away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pluffmud

Me personally, I would not shoot anything larger than 4s through that tight of a choke. Id be concerned about damaging the barrel, or even worse causing myself injury. The pellets are just too large for that tight a constriction and i wouldnt want to take the risk. I carry my .357 just for that reason lol.
Psalm 46:10

tha bugman

Quote from: Pluffmud on April 20, 2021, 09:14:02 AM
Me personally, I would not shoot anything larger than 4s through that tight of a choke. Id be concerned about damaging the barrel, or even worse causing myself injury. The pellets are just too large for that tight a constriction and i wouldnt want to take the risk. I carry my .357 just for that reason lol.
would #4's be sufficient to kill a hog?

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: tha bugman on April 20, 2021, 11:27:30 AM
TSS 4s sure would be...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Sasha and Abby

I've done it several times...

tha bugman

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 21, 2021, 02:40:47 AM
Quote from: tha bugman on April 20, 2021, 11:27:30 AM
TSS 4s sure would be...
these are lead #4's

BandedSpur

Killed a piglet at close range once with lead 7.5s while grouse hunting. Buddy shot at mama with lead 6s as she ran by and she only squealed and kept going. So I would say yes with lead 4s but only if the hog was close.

Ihuntoldschool

Lead Buckshot will be perfectly safe (check your regulations, most states restrict shot size in possession during Spring Turkey).
Lead 4's will work well if close, 2's will give you a little more range if you have some.