OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Franchi - Retay - Benelli  (Read 8539 times)

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Franchi - Retay - Benelli
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 09:05:03 AM »
They are, I just can't seem to find the one I want anywhere locally.  Everywhere just has the 3.5" with 28" barrel (not the elite, just the Affinity 3.5).
 It's a beautiful gun, cerakote and bottomland, shoulders nicely, is drilled and tapped,  and is only 7lbs, and I haven't ruled it out.  It's just $1100 dollars versus $800 for the Affinity 3" gun.
I'm not sure $300 more dollars is worth having the 3.5" shell option.

The more I look at pattern pictures too, the more I see that 20's are putting up about the same numbers as the 12's.   I'm not sure how or why, given the huge amount of more pellets there are in the 12's, (224 more to be exact) but I haven't seen too many killer 12ga patterns when searching around for Affinity 3 12ga patterns.

My 870 20ga, as well as some of the Affinity 3 20ga patterns with 9's are looking similar to a 275/175 numbers.  I kinda expected to see 350/250 numbers out of the 12ga with 9's, but all the ones I've seen look more like 20ga numbers.

Offline Big Jeremy

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 01:15:11 PM »
I recently bought a Retay Masai Mara...very pleased with it. It's going to be an all-around shotgun for me as I already have two turkey specific guns...12 ga Rem 870 and 20 ga Moss 500...but I will still use the Retay from time to time. Excellent pattern with hand loaded 3" TSS 9s and a Sumtoy .665.

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 03:34:03 PM »
I'm still kicking it around.  I sorta settled on the Franchi Affinity 3, I just can't find one locally.   I looked at the Gordion, that one is nice too.  I didn't pay much attention to the Masai Mara simply because it's not drilled and tapped, which is a must for me.   This will be a turkey specific gun for me, as I already have too many all-around shotguns.
I actually had the Gordion in my hand and the gun store talked me out of it and said they'd had several in for repair.  He didn't get into the details, and I take some of that with a grain of salt given that the guy I was talking to was young, and had told me he owned a Franchi and was clearly biased.
I still haven't ruled it out, it seemed like a nice gun and certainly fit the budget.
The guy on here that got one and couldn't remove the firing pin wasn't good news either.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 07:31:03 PM »
get a 20 in what every you chose, with todays loads no need for a 12!

Offline Gmed

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 07:36:37 PM »
I have the Affinity Cobalt in 20 gauge. Light weight and you can see the patterns.

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 08:07:01 PM »
Where did you get that top picatinny rail?

Offline Gmed

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 08:34:00 PM »
It’s a Weaver 48339. Multi slot for Benelli but also fits Franchi. It’s a low base and fits close to the receiver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233350312335?hash=item3654c3318f:g:9nMAAOSw4eBf~3JK

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 09:02:09 PM »
Thanks! I've been looking for that, and even called Franchi to see if they'd sell me the rail they put on the turkey elite models and they said no.  The only other one I could find was from EGW, and it looks like it sits up too high.   That was actually keeping me from making the drive to get the 20ga Bottomland Affinity 3 I found this afternoon an hour away.  I couldn't find the rail to put my optic on, and I need a full rail like that, not a Sumtoy style mount. 

I'm assuming it comes with screws?

Offline Gmed

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 10:42:10 PM »
Yep, screws all included. I can’t remember if I had to file the front screws a couple passes with a flat file or not. Seems like they were a little long, but a 30 second fix.....

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 05:26:01 AM »

For what its worth...

I got in contact with Retay about the firing pin. He said that removing that pin is "a bear." He said to not be afraid to hammer the living daylights out of the pin to get it to move, and that normally once its moved it shouldnt be too difficult in the future. He also went on to ensure me that if I did damage something in doing so, that I have a bigger issue and that they would send me a new bolt free of charge. Still havent tried it since I threw in the towel last time.
Psalm 46:10

Offline kennedyh1990

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 05:58:25 PM »
I purchased the Retay Gordion last year after the season. One feature I love is the quick unload where it ejects the shell from the bottom of the gun. I sent mine to Sumtoy to have the barrel cut down (I like a super short barrel) to 21 inches. Had him rethread it and put a .665 choke in it. I also got a low profile Mount for the Burris FF3 put on it. Retay customer service is fantastic as I had a crazy issue that they resolved no questions asked. Killed 2 birds with it this year and am extremely impressed with how it patterns. Huge advocate of Retay and the customer service.
30 yards
Sumtoy .665
Apex GT 3 #9s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2021, 05:43:32 AM »
There's a pretty stout rumor that Retay will be coming out next year with a pistol grip version of the turkey XT. For now, here is what they offer.https://www.retayusa.com/copy-of-masai-mara-upland

I currently have a Stoeger M3020 20 gauge and with a 3" 1 5/8oz load im getting 337 in 10" @ 40 yds. with the energy to kill past what the pattern will stay together. That being said, and it was mentioned earlier why NOT go with a 20 gauge? They weigh less, recoil less, shells are a bit cheaper and while they won't put 500 pellets in the 10" ring @ 40 yds. they have more than enough in there to get the job done. IMHO, and alot of folks will agree with me, 2 oz ,2.25 oz, 2.5 oz , heck really any more than 1 5/8 or 1 1/2 oz. is nothing more than wasted shot. If it were me I'd go with one of the 20s I've listed. Or if you want the shorter barrel ,get the Franchi A3 compact...it has a 24" barrel and comes with the stock shims so you can adjust it to a longer LOP if desired. Far as 12 gauge goes, Retay has you covered there too. 22" bbl. and drilled & tapped with a rail. The Franchi is a fine choice as well in 12, and well you already know about Benelli. I've always wanted an M2 with the 21" bbl. myself and would be great if they made one in 20. I might mention, the Retay 12s have their own choke thread system-Marapro whereas the Retay 20s utilize the Benelli crio threads. Whatever way you go, keep us apprised of your choice, and good luck!

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2021, 03:02:39 PM »
I purchased the Retay Gordion last year after the season. One feature I love is the quick unload where it ejects the shell from the bottom of the gun. I sent mine to Sumtoy to have the barrel cut down (I like a super short barrel) to 21 inches. Had him rethread it and put a .665 choke in it. I also got a low profile Mount for the Burris FF3 put on it. Retay customer service is fantastic as I had a crazy issue that they resolved no questions asked. Killed 2 birds with it this year and am extremely impressed with how it patterns. Huge advocate of Retay and the customer service.
30 yards
Sumtoy .665
Apex GT 3 #9s

I bought a Gordion Turkey as well this year. Called Sumtoy and he recommended a .665 for the kind of pattern I'm looking for, so I bought that and a low profile mount as well. With a pattern like that, I might have to get my barrel cut down too! How do you like that ff3? I'm considering either that, or waiting until the ff4 comes back in stock.
Psalm 46:10

Offline kennedyh1990

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2021, 09:54:42 AM »
30 yards
Sumtoy .665
Apex GT 3 #9s

I bought a Gordion Turkey as well this year. Called Sumtoy and he recommended a .665 for the kind of pattern I'm looking for, so I bought that and a low profile mount as well. With a pattern like that, I might have to get my barrel cut down too! How do you like that ff3? I'm considering either that, or waiting until the ff4 comes back in stock.
I love the FF3. It’s the only red dot I’ve ever shot. Made the switch last year and wonder why it took me so long to switch