OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thoughts on patterns  (Read 3300 times)

Offline Swampfoxforeman

Thoughts on patterns
« on: April 18, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
835 3.5” LB#5 Jeyhead and stardot. Need y’all’s opinion on these or suggestions on another choke. Top pattern is Stardot bottom is original Jellyhead. This was 40yards.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:59:14 PM by Swampfoxforeman »

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
Re: Thoughts on patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 06:33:30 PM »
My Jellyhead looks about the same out of my 835.
I'm using a Hevi Shot non-ported choke and it's everything I want out of my gun. If you search you can find one for around 30 bucks. It ain't pretty like some of the others out there for 2-3X the cash but it flat out works.

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 06:54:56 PM »
My bad... After posting I went and looked at my shotgun... I have the ported choke.
Don't judge the dirt. I've been hunting pretty hard.

Offline Swampfoxforeman

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 09:31:33 PM »
Well I’m going to get a new choke tomorrow. Does anyone the Jebs head hunter on the 835? If so what you think?

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 05:54:42 AM »
Well I’m going to get a new choke tomorrow. Does anyone the Jebs head hunter on the 835? If so what you think?
Jebs are good chokes plus if you don't like the pattern you get from them you can exchange it for a different constriction. I personally shoot an Indian Creek out of my 835 here is what I am getting at 40 yards.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »
Personally I think both of them are terrible.  That Stardot .676 with the 3 1/2 LB 5's should be decapitating that target.  Have you shot a dove load at 12 yards to see if you have a POA/POI problem?  Also, you need to shoot a much bigger target, preferably 30" x 30" to really see what the pattern is really doing.  I shoot an 835 and she will shoot most lead and hevi 13's really well with chokes in the .670 to .676 range.  That Stardot is one of the Best chokes available for our 835's.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 09:39:37 AM »
Pro shooting tip.

Go to Lowe's and get paper 140' X 3" is like $12.  Cut it out in 3'X3' put some dot or tape in the middle and check you point of impact (POI)! If it is off adjust with sights. You can start off at 12 yards with low brass shells look for the pattern of the pellets, don't worry about the wad. Look for the core of the pattern. Once you have is sighted in.

Check with turkey loads, with your different chokes. Keep us posted

Good luck.

Offline Tally Turkey

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 07:43:29 PM »
Jebs are good chokes plus if you don't like the pattern you get from them you can exchange it for a different constriction. I personally shoot an Indian Creek out of my 835 here is what I am getting at 40 yards.

What constriction is your Indian Creek?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 10:38:44 PM »
Pro shooting tip.

Go to Lowe's and get paper 140' X 3" is like $12.  Cut it out in 3'X3' put some dot or tape in the middle and check you point of impact (POI)! If it is off adjust with sights. You can start off at 12 yards with low brass shells look for the pattern of the pellets, don't worry about the wad. Look for the core of the pattern. Once you have is sighted in.

Check with turkey loads, with your different chokes. Keep us posted

Good luck.

I know how old this post is - but everyone needs to read this and if they are not doing this they need to be. It is one of the best things a turkey hunter can do to avoid leaving the woods totally frustrated with no bird and even more important, it helps to have a slightly to severely wounded turkey getting away from you on the ridge likely not to be found. Most of you are likely doing this, but if not please start.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline Flagobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 04:54:15 PM »
I've had great patterns out of my 835 with LB XR with a Indian Creek .675.  Just patterned some of the 3.5" Apex Ninja #8.5 shot this weekend with the Indian Creek .675 and its a whole new ball game.  Unreal patterns @ 40 yards.