turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Seat

Started by Neill_Prater, April 18, 2021, 11:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I've always promoted use of one of the so called "gobbler loungers" since I discovered their existence years ago. They were a Godsend for my back, actually once again making a long sit enjoyable. Until this year.

Not long before I went to Alabama, I began having issues with both shoulders, especially the left. Couldn't raise my arms, couldn't put my arms behind my back, struggled just putting on a jacket. Thought sure I had a torn rotator cuff, but the orthopedic surgeon I went to after I got home says, thankfully, no, just inflammation. I'm sloooowly getting better, but, anyway, it was a pain, literally and figuratively, hunting.

Getting up and out of the gobbler lounger was, for lack of a better word, interesting. If you've ever seen a video of a sea lion or walrus trying to navigate on dry land, it was a lot like that. If you have never tried to get up from a ground level seat at almost 70 years old and being unable to push up with your arms to the side, you really should. It's an eye opening experience. I'm not sure how long it usually took me to get up, but I do know that on at least one occasion, buzzards were beginning to circle!

Anyway, although somewhat better, I was not willing to go through that during our season, which opens tomorrow, so began looking for an alternative seat. I actually have an old Coleman camping chair in olive green and black which could have worked, but really didn't like the idea of sitting that high, so began looking on the web, and ran across a new entry from Alps, the High Ridge Hunting Chair. Just my luck, their website says they're not yet available.

However I soon discovered that apparently several retailers had not received the memo, and were showing them in stock, with Scheels offering the best price plus free shipping. The seat height was not listed on the specs, so I contacted Alps customer service and promptly received a reply stating it was 11 inches, which I thought was a good compromise, so promptly ordered one.

They are a bit heavier, about 7 1/2 lbs, but well made and rated for 300 pounds. The side table, which folds out upon deployment, probably accounts for the extra half pound, but is a great idea complete with holders for a pot call and strikers, box and mouth call. At first glance, I thought it unnecessary, but it is actually a brilliant idea. Bending over to retrieve a call from ground requires a lot of movement, a no no waiting on a gobbler.

I think I am going to really like it, perhaps even after my shoulders, hopefully, return to normal. I still can't jump up like a 20 year old, but it allows me to do so with minimal effort and most of my dignity intact.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

nice looking chair...

TonyTurk

With call holders built into the seat, a fella could leave his heavy vest at home, especially on hot days.

ChesterCopperpot

That thing looks awesome! Wanting something like that for long sits when you know you'll just be hunting and hoping over sign. Out of curiosity can you leave the calls in the holders when you fold the chair up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamo

It also has a pocket to hold a thermacell, attached to chair.

Neill_Prater

Chester, I haven't tried it, but I think that's the way it designed, to carry your calls.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Neill_Prater on April 18, 2021, 02:41:17 PM
Chester, I haven't tried it, but I think that's the way it designed, to carry your calls.

That's awesome! Gonna get me one. I hate sitting against a tree on my bum for hours and hours. Don't care how good the cushion is, a three hour sit and you can't hardly get up and I'm saying that as a 37 year old.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Neill_Prater

I forgot one thing. They dropped the ball with the carrying/storage case. Pretty well made and large enough, but has only a short carry strap, meaning it's designed to carry on your shoulder like a rifle sling. Hard to do when you have a gun in the other hand, so I'm going to have to figure out a way to attach a longer strap. Definitely not a deal breaker though.

Turkeyman

Remove the strap and have Na sew a nylon strap to your desired length. Easy. I do that type of thing often. I use a leather needle and nylon thread on my machine for such.

Greg Massey

Replace the strap with adjustable rifle sling, that's what i did on my turkey thug chair from Walmart...

captpete

Nice looking chair and pretty cool idea with the side table. The weight seems to about the same as a regular gobble lounger.

3bailey3

ChiefBubba

I just got one of these and am ordering 2 more to put in stock. Thank you for posting. Bubba

Chuck1443

That's a good looking chair. turn sideways in it if you needed, something you can't do in the lounger . Thanks for posting