OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question for the guys with patience.  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
Re: Question for the guys with patience.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 07:03:52 PM »
He talks about it in his podcast with Jay scott outdoors episode 675 part 2. He talks about in the 1st few mins of the podcast. He also talks about In a podcast with the southern outdoorsman episode 225 somewhere in the middle of the podcast. These are just small snippets from what he has gleaned from his research.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 08:02:01 PM »
Here's a link to one of the studies on hunting  and influences on male wild turkeys. Not sure if the actual data that supports Dr chamberlain premise that turkeys return to where a hunter was at or not. You'll have to read it and find out.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313900008_Influences_of_hunting_on_movements_of_male_wild_turkeys_during_spring
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:26:36 AM by Paulmyr »
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 09:00:34 PM »
Maybe I am a weird one but the whole obsession with turkey hunting isn't as cut and dry as simply killing one. My obsession is getting one to play the game I want to play and then killing him. Therefore I ain't gonna set around bored and unhappy just for an end result. I would rather spend a day doing what I want to do and not kill a turkey then spend a day doing what I don't want to do and kill a turkey. Therefore my patience has its limits and I am good with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
     I feel the same way . The older I get the more I feel stronger about “ how “ I collect one .

Online High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 11:40:23 PM »
It takes a lot of patience to sit for hours. I think they will eventually show up. One time I had one show up from a mile away. It took him 2 hours. I was ready to leave,  and decided on one last yelp.l jumped out of my boots when he gobbled at 20 yards!

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 07:36:43 AM »
April 14th my daughter and I sat in a blind for 6 hrs and never heard a peep. We can only hunt until 1pm. Check the time stamp. He would have been 40 yrds from the blind.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 09:08:20 AM »
Maybe I am a weird one but the whole obsession with turkey hunting isn't as cut and dry as simply killing one. My obsession is getting one to play the game I want to play and then killing him. Therefore I ain't gonna set around bored and unhappy just for an end result. I would rather spend a day doing what I want to do and not kill a turkey then spend a day doing what I don't want to do and kill a turkey. Therefore my patience has its limits and I am good with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
     I feel the same way . The older I get the more I feel stronger about “ how “ I collect one .

Yup....This ^^   ....On the other hand, there have been those rare times when I searched for that willing gobbler for a few days after which I said to myself,..."Hmmm, maybe I should have just deer hunted for a feathered deer"...  :toothy12:

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 09:29:04 AM »
I was on some birds during our 2nd season opener that gobbled good but wouldn't come to the call.  I tried soft calling, aggressive calling, multiple hens, and silence over 1 1/2 hrs.  I finally decided that maybe they just didn't feel comfortable where I was.  So I repositioned in another direction from them and checked them with a crow call.  Yep, I should have been patient.  They sounded like they were probably within a few feet of the tree I had been leaned against.  LOL, they beat me!  I did learn that a 75 yard section of old fence had likely been the issue.  I had to step about 2' over it.  Turkeys being turkeys...