OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Any tips for extremely cold weather? How does it affect turkey hunting?

Started by Bobby5, April 19, 2021, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Don't put all your warm clothes on right away in the mourning. Put them in the back of  your vest, tie them around your waste, or what ever. Wait until you get to your destination to put the outer layers on. You'll perspire less especially if you have a long distance to travel. Your under layers will be dryer and you'll stay warmer through out the day.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

ChesterCopperpot

The wind will be the bigger issue than the cold. I don't think cold snaps affect where they are in their cycle. It's not like gobblers break off hens if it snows, or hens break off nests when it's cold. The cycle is pretty straight forward. Whatever they were doing today they'll likely be doing in a few days. I think wind and rain affect them a lot more than cold snaps. Studies show they tend to gobble more on cold mornings than when it's hot. When they're on and going it's hard to knock them off that pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crghss

Headed to Black Hills in 2 weeks. Seems it'll be pretty cold 34 - 50. Good to hear that it's not to much to worry about. Maybe first time I hunt them in snow.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

bigriverbum

Quote from: TonyTurk on April 19, 2021, 02:24:49 PM
Layer your clothing like it's deer season and get after 'em!

my nephew and i were sitting in the sun on sunday with no wind. we were dying. just camo pants and long sleeve jackets over t-shirts.  got back to the car. 63 degrees. lol wisconsin

Old Timer

Killed a big gobbler once after a snowstorm on mother`s day. Came in quiet. Get out and hunt! Good luck!

Happy

Wear your thermal thong!Thats what I do anyways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club