turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How quick your season can change....

Started by btomlin, April 19, 2021, 09:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

Friday and Saturday of Iowa's 2nd season were slow for me although I was able to play the game with a couple of gobblers.  A bird that wouldn't cross a woven wire fence and another that come in silent and ended up at my 4 oclock with no shot opportunity while his buddy was at my 12 oclock gobbling his head off at 100 yards were my highlights.

Sunday morning started with little to no gobbling on the property I was hunting.  I could hear a few gobblers on the neighboring property so I set up in a good area and just enjoyed the awakening of the morning.  I got my "blemish" crystal call(Jump on these calls, mine sounds awesome!) from Gooserbat on Saturday, so I was playing with it throughout the morning.  As the sun continued to climb, I was still enjoying the morning and realized I hadn't called for about 10-15min.  I picked up the crystal call and let out a series of yelps and 80yrs behind me the forest come to life with a thundering gobble.  Another yelp series, another gobble, and the wait began....Soon the sound of drumming was becoming deafening, but the bird was on the wrong side of the finger I was on.  I got really aggressive on the v-cut I got from GB as part of the "grab bag" special and the gobbler went absolutely nuts.  Out of the corner of my eye, I catch him coming through the brush to my right at about 10yrds.  As soon as he hits the edge of the timber, he goes into full strut.  I let him get out into the open about 5 more steps and start to move my gun over and he sees me, but it was too late for him.  I did have to get him as he was making his best Carl Lewis impression at 20yrds.  :)

Stay after it, folks.  You never know when that gobble is going to come.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Congrats.  The season can go from zero to hero in a moments notice.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoteduster

timberjack86

Chris O

Nice job on the bird !!! Gooserbat high standard crystal and high standard aluminum sound great to my ear.

btomlin

Quote from: Chris O on April 19, 2021, 11:02:59 PM
Nice job on the bird !!! Gooserbat high standard crystal and high standard aluminum sound great to my ear.

Thanks, everyone!   I agree Chris!  I have not been disappointed in any of my calls purchased from the makers on OG.  I don't even look at the production stuff much any more.