OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Hunter Shot-Stalking? Decoys? Reaping? True Stories?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline mookyj

• www.joyneroutdoormedia.com
Turkey Hunter Shot-Stalking? Decoys? Reaping? True Stories?
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:03:37 AM »

Out of all the topics I cover as an outdoor writer this topic is perhaps the most gut wrenching to follow up on.

For those of you that follow my posts, you may recall last spring’s post- Eleven Turkey Hunters Shot…. since then I learned of a twelfth incident from the same season. Other than a few brief paragraphs, no details that we might want to know were disclosed which brings me to the following observations… I can assure you, I conduct repeated searches for updates.

I had full intentions to report follow ups to each of these unfortunate and preventable events. Several had positive story angles of their hunting partners responding Godspeed with emergency care, and immediate transport to professional medical care facilities. Modern day heroes if you will indulge me. I do hope that interviews be granted in the future as the value of having a hunting partner can make all the difference in hunting strategies and for the unexpected events we may encounter...

click for more: http://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=1987
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Turkey Hunter Shot-Stalking? Decoys? Reaping? True Stories?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 03:26:30 AM »
Hero’s?  Only if lead were being slung their direction.  Good friends, absolutely.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 10:19:42 AM »
  Is it True that the Amish out in Pennsylvania  will go to any lengths to Kill a Gobbler including Trespassing, / Fanningor Reaping + Stalking a Tom another Man is on or is some of this Tall Tales on the internet??

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
  Is it True that the Amish out in Pennsylvania  will go to any lengths to Kill a Gobbler including Trespassing, / Fanningor Reaping + Stalking a Tom another Man is on or is some of this Tall Tales on the internet??
Amish "hunters" are a scourge where ever they are found. True story!

Offline captfire

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »
IF U WANT ALL THE GAME OFF YOUR FARM AND ALL YOUR FISH OUT OF YOUR PONDS JUST LET THE AMISH ON IT THEY WILL TAKE EVERY THING THEY CAN !!!!!!!!

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 06:22:37 PM »
IF U WANT ALL THE GAME OFF YOUR FARM AND ALL YOUR FISH OUT OF YOUR PONDS JUST LET THE AMISH ON IT THEY WILL TAKE EVERY THING THEY CAN !!!!!!!!

I don't even want to get started on them....I was almost shot(had deer slugs hit the tree I was behind) by those trespassing/poaching people...will NOT call them hunters because they are not hunters!!

Sorry for Hi-Jacking your thread mookyj....back to regular programming.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 12:33:15 AM »

I don't even want to get started on them....I was almost shot(had deer slugs hit the tree I was behind) by those trespassing/poaching people...will NOT call them hunters because they are not hunters!!

Sorry for Hi-Jacking your thread mookyj....back to regular programming.
It is not just them, there is a group of coyote hunters here that hunt with dogs and they make a point of going on Mennonites properties on Sundays because they know they will be in church even though they have been directly told time and again they are not wanted on the property. Problem is the Mennonite religion does not permit them to call the police so they do it knowing they will not be prosecuted, plus they know there is no evidence against them because there was nobody there to see them trespass and the Mennonites are not allowed trail cameras by their church. I have even offered to go in and sit with my camera and try to get pictures of them trespassing but have not been allowed to do so.

Worst part is they are screwing over the group that I coyote hunt with with dogs because people Both Mennonites and English as they call us see how those guys are and do not want us anywhere around either because of them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 09:57:18 AM »

there's probably a thousand amish within 20 miles of me. i never see turkeys driving around. i have to go out of county to hunt with any chance of success