OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.660 vs. an extra full

Started by Jc69, April 16, 2021, 02:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jc69

I planned on picking up an indian creek .665 for my Remington 11-87 (special purpose turkey/3 inch 21 inch barrel).  At the time they were out of stock and I ended up putting it off etc. etc..............anyway, long story short.  What I have is the tightwad .660  that came with the gun (that I bought used)  I was pretty impressed by the patterns I was getting out of it so I figured I'd leave well enough alone.  I also have an extra full rem choke that came with an 870.  I read it is a .687??
  I have been reading  on misses with a tight choke at close ranges and this has me to thinking, turkey season here in Ar. opens on the 19th, everything is green and leafing out.  I'm going to be hunting in mountains/hardwoods and I'm going to be lucky to get any shots over 20 yards.  Is .660 too tight for 20 or less and should I consider the extra full .687 under my conditions? (Using #6 longbeards 3 inch.)  Last year when I took my son on the youth hunt, he got his gobbler at about 15 yards using my old 870 fixed full choke.
Anyway, while not new to hunting, I am new to turkey hunting so go easy on me.  Season starts Monday and I'm going to get to camp on Saturday and do a little more patterning at close ranges since I patterned it in before at longer ranges.  Thanks.

Borden811

If you're shooting 30 and under, I'm betting the factory choke will do everything you need. Probably even be good out to 40 with the longbeards. You won't have a crazy high numbers pattern, but I bet it'll be plenty good for killing turkeys.

bbcoach

With LB's, the resin is going to give you a VERY TIGHT pattern out to 20 yards.  The resin will keep the pattern together whether you use the .660 or .687.  You have two choices IMO, Aim Small, Miss Small or get some cheap lead shells (Turkey Thugs / Winchester XX) with the .687 should open the pattern.  Remember to shoot one a 40 to see how they are holding together, so you don't wound a bird at 40 if it doesn't hold together.

Happy

Honestly I would shoot them both and then decide. Longbeards are weird in that a more open choke might pattern tighter because it does not fracture the resin holding the shot as completely as a tighter choke would. Only way to know is to shoot them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tha bugman

Quote from: Borden811 on April 16, 2021, 08:02:58 PM
If you're shooting 30 and under, I'm betting the factory choke will do everything you need. Probably even be good out to 40 with the longbeards. You won't have a crazy high numbers pattern, but I bet it'll be plenty good for killing turkeys.
Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk