OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20ga Lead (Pb)  (Read 3034 times)

Offline dawei

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Olympia, WA
20ga Lead (Pb)
« on: April 15, 2021, 04:38:56 PM »
Do any of my fellow 20ga hunters still use lead? I shoot a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20 ga with a 26" barrel and a Wrights® SWARM™ choke (.555"). My ammo of choice is the Winchester® Longbeard XR® #6Pb. This load produces patterns tighter, with more pellets than Hevi•Shot®. The two follow-up loads are from my hoarded stash of Winchester® Supreme® 1&5/16oz of #4(Pb).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 02:40:52 PM by dawei »

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Online crow

• Double Beard
Re: 20ga Lead (Pb)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 05:51:31 PM »
In the fall I hunt with a sxs 20 with lead "6 pheasant loads in the right barrel for close turkeys, scattering a flock and for flushed grouse.  Tss in the left barrel

Never tried longbeards in it, about 35 yds is all the farther I could get with any other lead turkey load  in several different guns with several chokes including the truglow .550

in the spring with that  sxs 20 I use a light load of tss or HVWT 15g shot in the right barrel and
tss in the left

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 04:22:43 PM »
I think I was one of the few that had good results with Hevi-Shot's 20 ga. lead shot Triple Beard (5,6,7 shot).  Worked very well in my Benelli Nova 24" using HS Strut Undertaker .570.  Triple Beards have been discontinued but I bought 6 boxes while they still made them so........ ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline dawei

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Olympia, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »
I think I was one of the few that had good results with Hevi-Shot's 20 ga. lead shot Triple Beard (5,6,7 shot).  Worked very well in my Benelli Nova 24" using HS Strut Undertaker .570.  Triple Beards have been discontinued but I bought 6 boxes while they still made them so........ ;D
I'm glad to hear that they worked so well for you as I was not so fortunate.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline BHMTitan

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »
I do... the Longbeards #6 in my Weatherby SA08 with Indian Creek 0.555 does all I need.

Offline quackaddict

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 10:38:39 PM »
Winchester Super Pheasant 3” 1 1/4 #6s have worked real nice out of my Franchi 720, along with #6 longbeards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 04:07:18 PM »
Winchester and Federal 3" 5's and 6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase