OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Iowa youth #3 Elijah’s first bird w/rough ending  (Read 1820 times)

Offline chadly

Iowa youth #3 Elijah’s first bird w/rough ending
« on: April 15, 2021, 02:40:49 PM »
After seeing his older brother and sister get birds earlier in the week Elijah decided he wanted to try.  He was so excited when I brought home a tag with his name on it.  Last night we packed our clothes and he went to bed early.  I got him up at 4am and he jumped out of bed.  I had a pillow in the truck as it is about 75 minute drive and I thought he might want to rest.  But instead he talked my ears off with excitement.  We walked in and got to our listening spot and the birds were in deep.  By the time we got to the birds they were on the ground. We snuck to about 100 yards.  As soon as we sat down a hen was spotted about 30 yards out and she made every hen noise a hen could make.  No gobbles.  No other birds.  She eventually worked off.  I made some calls and nothing.  They were answering my calls prior.  I was sure I got too aggressive with my location and spooked them as they had been gobbling decent.  We got up and moved 50 yards where I wanted to spy over the knoll.  I wanted to see where the birds had been.  There was a huge oak and when we got to it I looked around it and there was a gobbler at 20 yards and walking right at us.  I handed Elijah the gun and told him as soon as you see the bird shoot him as he is close.  I slipped the safety off and the bird steps out at 8 yards and looks over at us.  I think he and Elijah were eye to in height.  He pulls the trigger and the bird drops.  The birds head is up and he is blinking and looking around.  I slipped the safety back on and quickly wrung the birds neck.  I looked back Elijah and he had tears in his eyes.  I asked if the gun kicked him and he said not really.  I then saw the sadness on his face.  I asked if he was sad and when I did the tears started to roll down his face.  Not the reaction I wanted at all.  I took him over to a log and we sat down and shed a tear together and talked about what happened.  He cheered up a bit.  There are consequences to bad shots.  As hunters we kill animals and at times as much as we don’t want it to happen a bad shot is made.  Those bad shots are at the expense of the animal.  It was learning experience.  Things just happened quickly this morning.  I don’t like the birds that close with kids.  It was a limbhanger stud of a bird at 24lbs 13oz.  Sure wished it went just a little different. 
Blessings Chad

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Iowa youth #3 Elijah’s first bird w/rough ending
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 02:52:17 PM »
Congrats on your trophy, young man!

Offline BBR12

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
Congratulations to y’all.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 03:40:58 PM »
Honestly I would be glad my kid took the death of an animal that seriously. I worry more about those that think nothing of it. Yes it sucks to see your child upset but you can be glad he recognizes the value of life. Congratulations to you both and i am sure you are proud of him. He seems to understand more than a lot of adults these days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 03:55:57 PM »
That can be rough on a kid.  It still gets to me, too.  But in the long run, he will truly appreciate the experience.

Online JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »
Congrats to your son. Happy said it perfect "recognizes the value of life". Great teaching moment. Thanks for sharing.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline REBELYELL

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • 601-384-7427
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 05:32:34 PM »
Good stuff and congratulations to you both. Sounds like you are raising that young man the right way.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »
Congrats on the great bird and X2 what Happy said!

Offline chadly

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  This was his first kill of anything.  I think seeing the bird still alive was what upset him.  We were talking this afternoon and asked where the green dot was when he shot and he said right on the neck.  I showed him where he actually hit and he said the scope must be off then.  LOL! 

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 07:32:35 PM »
Congrats to you both.  I still feel remorse after the trigger pull.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 08:14:14 PM »
Congrats to you and your son on a great gobbler and I'm sure the experience will make him a better hunter down the road

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 05:51:38 AM »
Congratulations to you and your son. He looks so young and this will be a lesson that he will try everything not to mimic in the future. My daughter gets a little sad after she kills them also. I tell her it's because she respects the animal. Hopefully your boy will not let this keep him down.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 06:48:35 AM »
Congrats, great learning experience. He will move forward loving this great sport, we all get remorse when we harvest our quarry.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 03:17:40 PM »
Congrats to Elijah.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 05:38:38 PM »
Congrats young man!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott