OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A great day.

Started by captpete, April 13, 2021, 09:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

It was opening morning of Iowa's 1st season. It was partly cloudy, about 40* and the wind was blow 20-30 mph....not perfect conditions, but much better than being at work. I had several gobbling about 300-400 yds. away on some other property. I know the birds couldn't hear my calls as the wind was blowing from them to me. I sat there for 4 hours in hopes that one or more would move my way as they have a tendency to do...to day wasn't that day.

I moved on to another spot and shortly after getting set up I called in a Jake and he preceded to have his way with my DSD hen decoy. It went on for about 30 minutes. I sat there for 3 hours without hear anything or anything else showing up. Sorry can't figure out how get the short video loaded. I added a link or you can click the picture and it will take you the video.
20210412_123144 by CaptPete17, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/2kSMkBE

I left, grabbed something to eat and hit a 3rd spot. I got set up and gave a series of yelps, cuts & purrs. About 10 minutes later I had a bird gobble about 100yards away. I gave him a few yelps and he gobbled a couple of more times from farther away. Fast forward about 30 minutes and he shows himself at about 150 yards from the north instead of the east from where he gobbled from. I gave him a couple of yelps and some purrs....10 minutes later he was strutting at 20 yards for my decoy. I couldn't get him to come out of strut. I yelped, whistled, yelled and even waved my arm. I ended up shooting him while he strutting. He had a 7 1/2" beard, 1" and 7/8" spurs respectively and weighed 24.6lbs...my heaviest bird.

Like the title says...A GREAT DAY!

20210412_154431 by CaptPete17, on Flickr

culpeper

Congratulations and like you said, it beats working

richard black

A great and exciting day. Congratulations on your success.

Meleagris gallopavo

Nice job and great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

btomlin

Sounds like a great hunt!  I'm impatiently awaiting Friday's opener!

zelmo1

Love those 3rd/4th spot birds, lol. Saved many a season with them. Congrats bro. Al

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

chadly

Congrats.  I was out for the Iowa opener as well.  Like you said windy it was.  ridiculous actually.  Glad it worked out. 

Sixes

jhoward11

What a little lunch will do for ya! No giving up! Congrats.

silvestris

"I couldn't get him to come out of strut. I yelped, whistled, yelled and even waved my arm. I ended up shooting him while he strutting."

Why I don't use decoys.  It takes the wild out of the bird.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sungrazer

Congratulations.
Came for the video-stayed for the Morel pics!

3bailey3

Awesome hunt, congrats..

randy6471

Congrats!! Sounds like you had an awesome day!

Yoteduster

Congrats on a really nice gobbler