turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mystery Calls - How do they sound?

Started by gaboy, February 13, 2011, 12:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaboy

Here's a couple recordings of a couple mystery calls I have. They aren't made by any call makers here  or by anyone you know as a call maker. The running of the calls ain't the best so bare with that.

What I'd like to know is in general how do they sound. What's good about the sound and what ain't so good and is lacking.

Call #1:

Click here to listen to cc_myster_call_no_1.wav

Call #2:

Click here to listen to cc_myster_call_no_2.wav

sugarray

gaboy

Quote from: sugarray on February 13, 2011, 01:07:39 PM
Link doesn't play

Have to download them first to play them. Haven't figure out how to embed the player in the link. If I do I'll fix the link.

sugarray

Ok, got it.

I like the first call the best.  It has a nice roll over, has some good rasp on the end.  They are box calls, right?  Second one is higher pitched and is just not my taste of calls.

gaboy

Quote from: sugarray on February 13, 2011, 01:45:30 PM
Ok, got it.

I like the first call the best.  It has a nice roll over, has some good rasp on the end.  They are box calls, right?  Second one is higher pitched and is just not my taste of calls.

Same here. I like Call #1 best as well. Both are pot calls... Call #1 is a ceramic over crystal with cherry pot. Call #2 is a blasted crystal over slate with black walnut pot. Both were run with a Harold Fowler Purpleheart striker.

I had a couple subpar pot calls that I removed the friction service and sound boards. Used the pots to experiment with for a little fun and to see what was possible without going to a lot of expense with getting all the necessary stuff to make my own pots.

Mr Fowler this weekend showed me a better technique for holding the pot and striker than I was using and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Weren't that good to begin with so there's a good bit retraining going on.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

MarkJM

I do like #1 better, has a little rasp to it I like. Well done  :icon_thumright:
MuellerCustomCalls

randlet