turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester 1300 Trigger Pull, can it be improved

Started by Tom007, April 11, 2021, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Anyone have info on after market trigger kits for Winchester 1300's? Info on how to lighten trigger pull is much appreciated, thanks....
"Solo hunter"

WylieCoyote

I haven't found one in existence. To my knowledge there is no such thing unfortunately. Although, searching forums I did find a gunsmith that will perform some modification to the triggers on the 1300s. I don't recall his name or the info because due to shipping the firearm and what little bit he could do it wasn't worth my time or money. Now I did disassemble my youth model 1300 20 gauge and took the trigger mechanism apart and polished every piece of steel in there. All the sharp edges I smoothed out with a dremel tool and removed any burrs. I'm not going to say that it made a huge improvement but it definitely made a difference. I was reluctant to start tampering with the thing due to all the little parts that make it up but once you get it apart and look at everything it's very self-explanatory on how to go about it. You do need to be very careful about when you're removing the burrs and sharp edges that you do not compromise any safety with the eagerness to get a lighter trigger.

Also, they do make a thing that attaches to the trigger that provides more surface area for your finger to apply pressure this is a tremendous help with a heavy trigger pull.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Tom007

Thank you very much, great info......will look into that....In the meantime, I have another 1300 with a smoother trigger that I do not hunt with. I swapped them out. Be safe, thx again...
"Solo hunter"

Ozarks Hillbilly

Not sure why Timney doesn't make something for the 1300. Maybe in large the Winchester's come with decent trigger from the factory? Timney trigger fix is the first thing I do to my Remington's. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

lowoctane

Quote from: WylieCoyote on April 12, 2021, 06:13:56 PM
I haven't found one in existence. To my knowledge there is no such thing unfortunately. Although, searching forums I did find a gunsmith that will perform some modification to the triggers on the 1300s. I don't recall his name or the info because due to shipping the firearm and what little bit he could do it wasn't worth my time or money. Now I did disassemble my youth model 1300 20 gauge and took the trigger mechanism apart and polished every piece of steel in there. All the sharp edges I smoothed out with a dremel tool and removed any burrs. I'm not going to say that it made a huge improvement but it definitely made a difference. I was reluctant to start tampering with the thing due to all the little parts that make it up but once you get it apart and look at everything it's very self-explanatory on how to go about it. You do need to be very careful about when you're removing the burrs and sharp edges that you do not compromise any safety with the eagerness to get a lighter trigger.

Also, they do make a thing that attaches to the trigger that provides more surface area for your finger to apply pressure this is a tremendous help with a heavy trigger pull.
It's called a trigger shoe...

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

WylieCoyote

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on April 12, 2021, 06:56:23 PM
Not sure why Timney doesn't make something for the 1300. Maybe in large the Winchester's come with decent trigger from the factory? Timney trigger fix is the first thing I do to my Remington's. 

All the 1200 and 1300's I've owned had heavy triggers but I don't mind that on my turkey guns. My rifles are an entirely different situation no matter how crisp And clean the factory has them, it gets a drop in or reworked.

mikejd

Hunt with an 835 for a while. Youll think your 1300 is an anshutz.

Ozarks Hillbilly

For years I was in search of the one hole or bug hole 5 shot rifle group. To me the trigger was a big part of the equation. I guess that has carried over to my turkey specific shotguns. 

bbcoach

Quote from: WylieCoyote on April 12, 2021, 08:09:25 PM
All the 1200 and 1300's I've owned had heavy triggers but I don't mind that on my turkey guns. My rifles are an entirely different situation no matter how crisp And clean the factory has them, it gets a drop in or reworked.

[/quote]
I totally disagree with the statement of it is OK to have heavy triggers on turkey guns.  A couple of reasons WHY!  With today's chokes and shells, our patterns are so tight at 20 yards (baseball size) to 30 yards(softball size) , we should have a light, clean breaking, crisp trigger on our turkey guns as well as our rifles.  Another reason is when our triggers are super heavy (over 5 lbs) we have a tendency to anticipate the shot going off and with that heavy trigger we also drop and/or pull the nose of the gun off the intended aim point.  Yes, we are shooting a shotgun and there is some Fudge factor there but most of our patterns at 0 to 30 yards are super tight.  One other point, with a rifle on a deer we have about 7 to 9 inches of leeway to make a killable shot if you shoot right behind the shoulder.  On a turkey, that isn't the case when you are aiming at a 2 to 3 inch neck or head that moves most of the time.   

bbcoach

By the way, my 835 has the old style trigger before they came out with the LPA Trigger.  The trigger on this gun was horrible.  It had about a 6 lb trigger and the creep was terrible.  I had mine worked on and it is down to 3 lbs and the creep is gone.   

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

WylieCoyote

Quote from: bbcoach on April 13, 2021, 02:13:32 PM
Quote from: WylieCoyote on April 12, 2021, 08:09:25 PM

I totally disagree with the statement of it is OK to have heavy triggers on turkey guns.  A couple of reasons WHY!  With today's chokes and shells, our patterns are so tight at 20 yards (baseball size) to 30 yards(softball size) , we should have a light, clean breaking, crisp trigger on our turkey guns as well as our rifles.  Another reason is when our triggers are super heavy (over 5 lbs) we have a tendency to anticipate the shot going off and with that heavy trigger we also drop and/or pull the nose of the gun off the intended aim point.  Yes, we are shooting a shotgun and there is some Fudge factor there but most of our patterns at 0 to 30 yards are super tight.  One other point, with a rifle on a deer we have about 7 to 9 inches of leeway to make a killable shot if you shoot right behind the shoulder.  On a turkey, that isn't the case when you are aiming at a 2 to 3 inch neck or head that moves most of the time.
[/quote]I never said it's ok to have that on YOUR turkey gun. I said I don't mind it on MY turkey gun. If you are missing turkeys at 30 - 40 yards you have a pattern issue, not a trigger issue. It's easy to get caught up in the high pellet count in a 10" circle hype. Doesn't make a good argument for trigger jobs on shotguns.