OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many coyotes killed

Started by Which Gun, April 11, 2021, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: dublelung on April 21, 2021, 02:16:24 PM
Quote from: Marc on April 21, 2021, 01:30:56 PM
I take no issue with killing them...  But I wonder if they do not control the egg eaters (racoons, opossums, & skunks) which are more destructive to the ground nesters such as turkeys...

Also recently saw some evidence that they probably help control the feral pig population, in seeing a couple of piglet carcasses that were likely due to coyotes.  I have already seen several destroyed nests by pig rootings, and think that they take far more of a toll on turkey populations than do yotes???

I'm sure coyotes do far more damage to nesting hens than feral hogs do. Everywhere out there in the turkey woods has coyotes, where hogs are more isolated. Not saying hogs don't destroy nests because they clearly do. I don't discriminate, I treat all nest predators the same. Trapped, shot, or ran over I don't pass a chance to take one out.
I suppose that is up for debate...  But I have seen a lot more evidence of destroyed nests on ground-nesting birds from hogs, than I have seen evidence of dead turkeys from coyotes..

I know coyotes actively eat turkeys, cause I have called them in to a turkey call too many times.  But I have seen dove, quail, and turkey nests all completely destroyed by pigs...  Pigs use their nose, and have the potential to find every nest on the ground in their territory at night...

Honestly, I suspect that it is dependent on the numbers as to which does more damage.  The pig population where I am hunting is growing exponentially, while the coyote population is fairly stable...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

idgobble

A couple farmers who let me turkey hunt have been telling hunters not to kill coyotes for the last 5 years. They appreciate the effect coyotes have on the rodent population and have learned that killing coyotes can actually be counter-productive.  There are studies that support that.  This season I never heard less than 8 gobblers a day while on their farms, got 2 nice ones in 2 days and called into shooting range 4 others just for fun while my hunting buddy was getting his. 

tracker#1

Dtrkyman

Coyotes have some amazing capabilities and actually produce more young when their numbers are low(fission fusion) may be the term?

The Government has spent millions trying to eradicate them with poison to no avail, they did a fine job with wolves but the wiley coyote just kept spreading all over the country.

I suppose a targeted trapping program just prior to season may help a little but it its not very likely.

mike103

It's illegal to coyotes during Turkey season in NY. LOL

So that means none. 8)

Sir-diealot

Can't shoot them here during the turkey season, against the law. Sure wish I could though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

West Augusta

I haven't even heard a coyote this season in West Virginia.  Hope the trappers are getting them.  I usually have heard them every year. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.