OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best hunts of the season so far, stepson is tagged out

Started by turkeyhunter91, April 24, 2021, 03:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

the morning started out with dad,connor and myself set up on a bird i roosted last night trying to get dad his first of the season. he gobbled good on the limb but was the only bird i heard very close. he ended up flying down behind us and was coming our way but saw something he didn't like and turned around going over the hill into the next holler over. we set a little while and seen a couple lone hens come into the field. with rain moving in and nothing else gobbling close we decided to head to another farm. as soon as i got out of the truck i heard a bird gobble in a area we have tried a couple times this season so i hit a crow call and he gobbled again. after making a big loop we set up about 100 yards away and i went to calling. 2 toms came in and was swinging wide but was in range so i told dad to shoot cause they wasn't gonna commit and come to the decoys. he shot but missed, after making sure it was a miss he had to take off so i asked connor if he wanted to hit another spot before the rain or call it. he wanted to keep hunting so we was headed to another farm when i spotted a tom and hen in a field we had permission to hunt. we got set up and started calling. the bird started gobbling and came a little closer but never made it up to where we could see him. after giving him some time i noticed there was some rolls of hay lined up along the ridge that would allow us to craw behind them and get up to where we could see the field better. we set up behind the last roll of hay and i could see the tom about 100 yards over the hill strutting and would respond when i would call with my mouth call but was just strutting around and around so i figured he still had his hen. i decided to try my trumpet and when i did he turned and started walking towards us. after continuing to call with it he came up and crossed the fence about 40 yards away. i was hoping he would put his head down or turn around and allow connor to get up but he heading up the hill going behind us so i told connor to get ready he was gonna have to just raise up,turn and kill him. he did it perfect and rolled him at 26 yards. he weighted 22 pound 13 ounces, had a 10 1/4 in beard, 1 3/16& a 1 1/8 in spurs. connor wanted to use my gun so we was able to get the shot on film but i had left my other cam and tripod in the truck.

Yoteduster

Gobbler-one

Congrats on a nice Gobbler. Nothing like family spending time together chasing turkeys.

Swenny

Great story, and great pic.  Thanks for sharing, congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JeffC

Great job Connor, congrats, great read, good job Dad making memories.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.