OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many coyotes killed  (Read 2731 times)

Which Gun

How many coyotes killed
« on: April 11, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »
Wondering how many coyotes killed turkey hunting. I got a big male this
morning passing through waiting for birds to gobble. 3” Double X magnums  #5’s at 40-45 yards. Am in NC
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:42:54 AM by Which Gun »

Offline RossAnderson

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: How many coyotes killed
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 01:53:29 PM »
Killed one on opening morning of GA’s season this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

Online WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:01:02 PM »
Seen three this week in Western Oklahoma while moving in the vehicle. They have coyotes out there, and a big pile of them! Would be fun just riding around shooting coyotes.

Turkey hunting I have never killed any, have let a few walk.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 09:24:03 PM »
So far i've not seen one in my area while turkey hunting and i hope i don't...

Online 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 09:28:19 PM »
i have killed one while turkey hunting and had another get away because i did not have the slide shut, got the click but turned out good had a bird come in right after that that i got...

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
Nice job on killing the coyotes fellas.
I don't see em in the daylight around my hunting grounds and haven't killed one in years while turkey hunting. Wish I did.. but it probably has something to do with the amount my neighbor and I shoot at night several times a year. The yotes I have access to are 95% nocturnal from the data I get off my trail cams and from the time I spend in the woods hunting deer, turkey, and bears.

Offline Kansan

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:27:38 PM »
I kill several every year while turkey hunting. That’s on top of the 100+ I’ve killed in the winter. We have more coyotes than about anywhere on Earth, though.

Offline THattaway

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Worship the LORD, not His creation.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 07:38:15 AM »
Killed two here in last two weeks coming to call.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

“The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill.”-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Offline pdaugherty

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 09:09:55 AM »
Killed one the third morning of season in bama, came right in to the call. Killed a big bobcat too later in the week. We've trapped around 6 since the start of season.

Offline AndyN

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 10:18:14 AM »
Only 3 in the last 15 years and they were all in IA.

Offline makestomstremble

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »
Shot one yesterday that was eyeing my decoy. Have killed several in years past while turkey hunting. Had two come in to a set up last Saturday morning but did not shoot either. I live in western Oklahoma and we have tons of coyotes. Not uncommon to see a half dozen in a deer stand in a few hours.

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »
I called one in 3 days ago. He had a bad morning. Over the years I have only had a couple die coming to calling by me. Now deer season is another story.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:24:29 AM by MISSISSIPPI Double beard »
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 01:30:56 PM »
I take no issue with killing them...  But I wonder if they do not control the egg eaters (racoons, opossums, & skunks) which are more destructive to the ground nesters such as turkeys...

Also recently saw some evidence that they probably help control the feral pig population, in seeing a couple of piglet carcasses that were likely due to coyotes.  I have already seen several destroyed nests by pig rootings, and think that they take far more of a toll on turkey populations than do yotes???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 02:16:24 PM »
I take no issue with killing them...  But I wonder if they do not control the egg eaters (racoons, opossums, & skunks) which are more destructive to the ground nesters such as turkeys...

Also recently saw some evidence that they probably help control the feral pig population, in seeing a couple of piglet carcasses that were likely due to coyotes.  I have already seen several destroyed nests by pig rootings, and think that they take far more of a toll on turkey populations than do yotes???

I'm sure coyotes do far more damage to nesting hens than feral hogs do. Everywhere out there in the turkey woods has coyotes, where hogs are more isolated. Not saying hogs don't destroy nests because they clearly do. I don't discriminate, I treat all nest predators the same. Trapped, shot, or ran over I don't pass a chance to take one out.

Which Gun

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 03:20:36 PM »
Same here. I’ll let every turkey walk and kill all predators any chance I can. I predator call all year long if it comes to the call it’s up to no good. We don’t have hogs don’t want them but I’d do my part to kill as many of those as I could. I carry a pistol just for that reason for taking out predators.