OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Bps difficult ejection  (Read 3750 times)

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Bps difficult ejection
« on: April 11, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »
Well i finally got a chance to shoot my bps 10 with the new 24" barrel and Indian creek .710 choke.I had a variety of ammo to try that i had picked up over the years. Now i haven't shot any turkey ammo out of it for quite some time, so my memory is foggy, as i have been using it exclusively for waterfowl last few seasons. Anyways, i found that the remington ammo i had, which was lead 2.25 oz #4, 2.25 oz #4x6 duplex, and 1- 7/8ths  hevi #6 shot was hanging up when i tried to eject them. they extracted fine but once the pump was almost fully rearward it seemed to bind up and wouldnt kick them out of receiver without considerable force. I don't remember having that issue before, but it's been a long time since i shot these out of my gun. I didn't have any issues with estate steel shot previously, or the winchester supreme or xx turkey ammo.I checked the fired hulls of the remingtons, and they are much longer than the winchester fired hulls, so i'm pretty sure that's the issue, but i don't remember them hanging up before. Anyone else run across this problem, or is there something else i'm missing?

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Bps difficult ejection
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 06:33:55 AM »
Got some of those Remington 4's ordered and will try them this week to see how they do. I will let you know.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 11:45:41 AM »
Thank you, i appreciate the feedback. Going to post some pattern pics this week hopefully.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 12:21:06 PM »
Buddy of mine brought me some Apex, Federal 2oz #7's, and some Win XX 4's to try. Got an Indian Creek .690 on the way. Hope to get to try them out before season here in KY (opens this weekend). I am unable to post pictures on here because lack of computer knowledge Lol but I will let you know how it does.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline 457121

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 12:55:38 PM »
You are correct that the fired Remington hull is longer than either the Federal or Winchester. Remington hulls will sometimes hang up in the ejection port of my Mag 10. I don't recall if that happens in my BPS. The Remington Premier factory load (3.5" - 2 1/4oz. - #4) has never patterned as well in any of my 10ga. guns as Fed or Win loads so I never use them when hunting. I do trim off the extra length of the Rem hull before reloading it so it operates in all 4 of my guns without a problem.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 08:48:06 AM »
Thanks for the info. I had heard that Browning gold/gold lights sometimes had issues with the longer fired hulls, but i haven't heard of bps having problems. I do remember the Remington's being slightly harder to eject than the Federal/Estate/Winchesters i have been shooting, but not like this. Now, i am shooting the gun with a 24" replacement barrel and not the original 26" barrel, so i wonder if that is what is causing it. I will have to take a close look at them to see if there is any slight differences that may be causing it. I only have a small amount of the discontinued Rem Hd #6 and 4x6 Duplex loads anyways, so not that big of a deal if they hang up some for turkey hunting. Bummer though, as they pattern very well out of the ammo I've tried. Really like the H.D. #6's, might have to get into reloading down the road and make some similar loads to these. Thanks again for the replies and advice!

Offline 457121

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 02:40:11 PM »
The best solution is to buy another 10ga. in the SxS flavor to use up that small amount of ammo. Break open gun won't be bothered by a little extra hull length.  ;)

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 04:52:05 PM »
The best solution is to buy another 10ga. in the SxS flavor to use up that small amount of ammo. Break open gun won't be bothered by a little extra hull length.  ;)
I like that line of thought!

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 02:20:04 PM »
This is coming from a 12ga gold hunter 3.5” gun. We shoot buckshot here for deer and I can not shoot Remington 3.5” out of it. It will hang up everytime, whereas with Winchester or federal I’ve never had an issue. Due to this I shy away from Remington loads as a whole. May be the same with a browning 10 and Remington loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:21:23 AM »
This is coming from a 12ga gold hunter 3.5” gun. We shoot buckshot here for deer and I can not shoot Remington 3.5” out of it. It will hang up everytime, whereas with Winchester or federal I’ve never had an issue. Due to this I shy away from Remington loads as a whole. May be the same with a browning 10 and Remington loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! I have closely inspected both the barrels and they are identical, and there is no difference that i can see. They both feed all brands of unfired  shells butter smooth, but Remington fired hulls hang up on the edge of the chamber due to being longer. I find if i work the action with authority they will eject with some difficulty. All the Remington fired hulls were much longer than the Winchester, Estate, and federal hulls. The HD hulls were the longest of all the Remingtons. My son is going to show me how to use my new phone (lol!) to post pics, and i can post some up, with some patterns too.

Offline 457121

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 02:29:18 PM »
Shot my BPS with a Remington Premier factory load at lunch time. Yes, it hung up in the ejection port.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 04:24:30 PM »
Shot my BPS with a Remington Premier factory load at lunch time. Yes, it hung up in the ejection port.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know it's not just my gun.

Offline 457121

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 02:17:14 PM »
I dug out some recent production (last 10 years) 10ga. fired hulls and measured the empties.
Federal: 3.345"
Remington: 3.390"
Winchester: 3.325"
What you can find unfortunately is hull length will vary from lot to lot even today. I have some fired brown Federal hulls that measure 3.410" and some old '70's and '80's production Rem and Win hulls that are right at 3.400". I trim any Federal and Rem hulls to modern Winchester lengths before reloading because 1) the extra length isn't needed and 2) it simplifies press set up. Winchester hulls are my favorite for reloading because they offer the best ballistic characteristics and they function flawlessly in any gun without trimming.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 09:17:57 AM »
Great info, thank you 457121! I've had no issues with the Winchester or Estate steel or lead shot hulls, so if i ever get into reloading i will have plenty of hulls. The Winchester xx pattern was pretty lackluster compared to the 4x6 and Hd 6 Rem loads. I have a couple Winchester Supreme 5's left, they patterned much better than the xx's.Whenever the ammo shortage gets back to normal, i might try the Magblends, or some Apex tss loads, or load some up myself. For turkey hunting, i don't think the ejection is going to be an issue, I will just have to make sure i operate the action with some enthusiasm! Thanks again, ward.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 03:47:34 PM »
I just shot my 10ga.BPS 24" Stalker this morning with the old Federal Premium 2 1/4 oz #6 and also the now discontinued Winchester Supreme HV 2oz. # 6 shot.  The action functioned perfectly with no hang ups.  I have never tried Remington shot shells in this gun as the Fed. and Win. have always worked so well especially the Winchesters.  This gun is a BEAST!  WOW what great patterns it shoots. I have not shot it in a while but I am so impressed I am going to carry it this Saturday, the opening day here.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!