OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crazy ...ammunition gone !

Started by Old Gobbler, April 08, 2021, 04:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: joey46 on April 10, 2021, 06:35:15 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on April 10, 2021, 10:39:33 AM
One thing that scares me about this turkey ammo shortage, is some people are buying turkey loads of some kind, because they can't find what they are use to hunting with in the passed and just going turkey hunting without even patterning that shell... i hope we don't end up with bunch of cripple birds or birds that are not found..

Imo - Even when available few were doing much patterning because of cost.  Yes this will compound the problem.
Yes, you are probably right

joey46

As of a few minutes ago a company
targetsportsusa.com
had Federal and Browning tss
available for around $9.00 per shot. Looked like 12
and 20.  No .410
Guy from a Florida forum tipped us off.

Update - 20 may have sold out.  Seem to have lots of 12.

Tail Feathers

If you just now realized this, you've been too busy working for the past year!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 12, 2021, 08:18:20 PM
If you just now realized this, you've been too busy working for the past year!
AMEN.. best post on this topic so for..

ShootingABN!

Quote from: joey46 on April 12, 2021, 05:05:03 PM
As of a few minutes ago a company
targetsportsusa.com
had Federal and Browning tss
available for around $9.00 per shot. Looked like 12
and 20.  No .410
Guy from a Florida forum tipped us off.

Update - 20 may have sold out.  Seem to have lots of 12.

Federal can be found here (South MS), Winchester XR is like finding a Unicorn. I was in VA for spring break. Sportsman's Warehouse had 12 gauge 3.5 and 3"#5 2 box limit, sold out within a day. Still had Federal TSS.... Just saying....

Good luck everyone...

Old Gobbler

Looking for more federal 10 ga hw7 , there was plenty all over just a few weeks ago ...now gone , probably for good, I have plenty of it , I just figured ill get a few more

I am concerned about when the waterfowl  season starts that people will be in "toilet paper mode" over buy and cause a severe shortage
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Old Gobbler on April 15, 2021, 06:41:30 PM
Looking for more federal 10 ga hw7 , there was plenty all over just a few weeks ago ...now gone , probably for good, I have plenty of it , I just figured ill get a few more

I am concerned about when the waterfowl  season starts that people will be in "toilet paper mode" over buy and cause a severe shortage
I've got a feeling that when WF season starts, you're going to see plenty of "steel" being used in places where the GW doesn't show up. Something tells me that there's going to be plenty of dove loads being used to take down the larger birds.

As for turkeys, if one chooses to use the 12 ga, a stiff load of 6's from a 2-3/4" shell will be fine at shotgun ranges. But, that's not what we want to use. It's just not "sexy" these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Thanks a lot Bidumb and the Demonrats!!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

bigriverbum

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 15, 2021, 11:09:59 PM

As for turkeys, if one chooses to use the 12 ga, a stiff load of 6's from a 2-3/4" shell will be fine at shotgun ranges. But, that's not what we want to use. It's just not "sexy" these days.

then why is the only turkey ammo i've seen for 3 months been only tss loads? my local ace hardware had longbeards for about 12 hours

jhoward11

I think we are in toilet paper mode on steroids...It will come back, but not as fast as crap paper. I was in the gun shop and heard a guy asking for turkey ammo, 20g because his son had decided to go. They didn't have any and he sounded desperate to find some. I had 2 boxes in the truck of TSS 20g....couldn't take it, so I sold him one of mine. I just put myself in his shoes, if it was my son. Do unto others!! Good Luck.

the Ward

!2 gauge steel waterfowl ammo was already out of stock nearly everywhere. I found 10 gauge was still available, so i made sure to get some more so i would have no worries this fall. I am sitting good on ammo, i always bought a box or two  of this or that, whenever there was a good sale on. They were practically giving it away,  before the corona and election gave us the one two punch full on shortage.Looks like the salad days are officially over, at least for the next 4 years.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 15, 2021, 11:55:08 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 15, 2021, 11:09:59 PM

then why is the only turkey ammo i've seen for 3 months been only tss loads? my local ace hardware had longbeards for about 12 hours
Guess I'm not sure how the question relates to my post in the end. I was simply stating that if push comes to shove, someone could use 2-3/4" loads to kill their turkeys. Doesn't have to be 3", tss or any of the stuff we view as "turkey" ammo. I've killed them in the past while squirrel hunting with lead 7.5's. Just throwing it out there.

NCL

Watched a video yesterday from Remington on the ammo plant in  Arkansas The manager explained the shortage was due to not being able to get the primer component accelerant from Australia which apparently in now over, hiring and training staff. He said the "Big Green' is now in full production 24/7

NCL

Correction to the above, not sure where I read about the primer component but the Remington only mentioned ammunition components

wvmntnhick

Quote from: NCL on April 17, 2021, 11:10:28 AM
Correction to the above, not sure where I read about the primer component but the Remington only mentioned ammunition components
It's def the issue with the printer components from Australia. That's the whole issue right now.